EFILive hmmmmmmm.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
bet they allow fire and police departments to be "exempt" from these features when they order new rigs. not like any goverment car in az has mandated emission testing anyhow

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I was waiting for articles like this to start popping up. You would think they would keep the emissions equipment on the vehicles but just disable the limp mode. I was told by someone that's how the medium duty fire trucks are?

I know all of our city vehicles here are exempt from most emission rules. Hell all the ambulances I get in are running red fuel!

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
It's coming home to roost now..We have 3 units with this crap on them and they always have to be babied for the best result. One tanker sits on the apron doing forced regens while the other 550 is on the highway getting the crap cleaned out of it. The rescue we have with a Cummins does all sorts of funky stuff when it's in regen....

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
the systems just aren't advanced enough to not fail all the time, the school district i'm in just bought 50 new CAT/Cummins busses and every single one of them goes into regen 10x as much as they should and they do the same thing, they just completely shut down whenever they want to. i think they actually ended up removing alot of the DPF equipment

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
It is ridiculous that the systems can't be designed to work with the vehicles' use pattern. The manufacturer (and EPA) know how these vehicles are used. It's not like they can change how they drive/idle ambulances. They HAVE to be run like that.

The article claims the EPA now exempts ambulances and fire trucks. If they admit it won't work for them, what about the rest of us who work our vehicles in a similar way?

This is why you won't see a 2007+ in my garage. I don't mind clean emissions, I can tolerate adding urea (DEF), but when the truck can decide it doesn't like how I am working it and turn off... not good.

It's been almost 7 years since DPFs were required. Why can't they make them work under the more extreme situations?

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
We have been fighting reliability issues on equipment as well. Pretty much need a spare per 2 pieces of equipment to run 24/7.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
We actually received a DPF cleaner at work the other day. Gotta remove the dpf when full, and it blows air through every single pore of the dpf material, cleaning it out. I have to do forced regents all the time on Cat equipment before they go out on rent. It's time consuming and a pita.. Already pulled off/replaced a few 8000$+ DPFs because of a "unknown defect"

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This is the very reason UPS has gone back to gassers.....the DPF/emissions systems on modern diesels arent worth the trouble.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
If I was the guy that was shot I would sue the EPA for the hold up. Hell the people in the US sue for everything why not this? I am not saying it is 100% the EPA's fault but the EPA needs to add something to make the manufacturers tune out the shutdown part of the system.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Fedex here started dumping their Sprinters and replacing them with GMC Savannas

IMAG0122_zpsf9e1a9ce.jpg

Look at all the vans!:woott:

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
At least we all know that the DPF's are doing their job. Cleaning up the emissions in the world. If the truck ain't running it ain't creating emissions.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
If I was the guy that was shot I would sue the EPA for the hold up. Hell the people in the US sue for everything why not this? I am not saying it is 100% the EPA's fault but the EPA needs to add something to make the manufacturers tune out the shutdown part of the system.

The guy died, so his family will have to persue a lawsuit, the news did claim that his injuries were pretty much fatal, he was shot by the police for undisclosed reasons...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Did they really? I haven't any around here.

The driver on my route has a new gas burner. That thing sounds like a race car coming down the road.

Yep, in talking to our mechanics, they've told me the company decided to switch back to gassers. Less $$ to repair, emissions are proven and dont cause problems (excessive regen, shut down, etc), and considering fuel cost--mileage isnt that big an issue. Its really too bad, those 6.7 Cummins/Allisons were great combos. If we could've deleted them, the Freightliner chassis plus that drivetrain wouldve been darn near bulletproof.

My Workhorse is LS powered. :) The trans tuning/shift points needs a LOT of work, though.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Fedex here started dumping their Sprinters and replacing them with GMC Savannas

IMAG0122_zpsf9e1a9ce.jpg

Look at all the vans!:woott:

We have had big orders in for FedEx for gassers and cng along with Duramax still. And AT&T and Home Depot keeping us busy aswell replacing there trucks.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I always think of the Simpsons movie when I hear of the EPA. EPAAA EPAAA. Soon they will probably be monitoring my fart output.