LMM: Hit Rev Limiter- Coolant out the back of the engine: help

BigRedDirtyD

Mar 21, 2014
Central Indiana
Had a bad (read: expensive) week with the 07.5 LMM already- now I'm dealing with coolant everywhere from a romp on it session and need advice. A little background-- H&S tuned, few upgrades- pushing 500 HP-- nothing special.

Hit rev limiter- and coolant went EVERYWHERE. Spilling out of the back of the Engine, Checked the main hoses on the front- just did a coolant flush last week so its solid. Not sure if I blew the pressure line off the turbo?? Not sure if that would account for all the coolant though. Other option I can think of is Head Gasket but I didn't hear any loud blast and the truck runs solid- feel like I'd notice something like that before now. Threw an ECM code- figure that was from hitting the limiter- cleared it, truck starts, sounds good, codes don't come back but immediately starts blowing coolant from the back of motor.

Looking for some advice on where to look, possible problems, what it might be before I get off work and get down to it. Ideas and troubleshooting would be great.

Thanks.

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
Had a bad (read: expensive) week with the 07.5 LMM already- now I'm dealing with coolant everywhere from a romp on it session and need advice. A little background-- H&S tuned, few upgrades- pushing 500 HP-- nothing special.

Hit rev limiter- and coolant went EVERYWHERE. Spilling out of the back of the Engine, Checked the main hoses on the front- just did a coolant flush last week so its solid. Not sure if I blew the pressure line off the turbo?? Not sure if that would account for all the coolant though. Other option I can think of is Head Gasket but I didn't hear any loud blast and the truck runs solid- feel like I'd notice something like that before now. Threw an ECM code- figure that was from hitting the limiter- cleared it, truck starts, sounds good, codes don't come back but immediately starts blowing coolant from the back of motor.

Looking for some advice on where to look, possible problems, what it might be before I get off work and get down to it. Ideas and troubleshooting would be great.

Thanks.

This wasn't at Rudy's? Was it?

BigRedDirtyD

Mar 21, 2014
Central Indiana
Haha No. I mean the story was great, Woke him up for his night shift via putting my exhaust at the bedroom window... Coal Rollin up the house, the window shaking... Freakin HILARIOUS... Until I hit the rev limiter and blew coolant everywhere...

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Have you pin pointed any area of the leak.....there i a lot of areas on the back side of the engine were coolent could leak. Did you hit the limiter with a cold engine?

BigRedDirtyD

Mar 21, 2014
Central Indiana
No, Engine was warm and good to go. I wouldn't have got on it otherwise. No need to unnecessarily tear up my stuff. Right now, I'm thinking its the pressure line for the turbo.. Just wanted to put feelers out there to see if anyone had the same issue and had any pointers. 98% sure its the pressure line.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Check heater hoses. I busted one at the strip one night I was heating my tires up and rpms went above 4k, wasn't paying attention. It split open on the bottom right hand side and was spraying coolant in the valley and on the charger.

THduramax

Will it ever end!
Aug 15, 2012
Flaherty, ky
check the plate on the engine adapter.. it'll spit fluid out if it's been pressurized..it's about 3" tall and 2" wide.. kinda behind down pipe.. 2 bolts hold it on.. if that's it pull it off and get a good gasket maker goop.. it'll fix it right up.. it leaked in my old truck when I was ragin it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRedDirtyD

Mar 21, 2014
Central Indiana
Hey guys thanks for the help! Ended up being the coolant line to the EGR. Weak clamp there, so it wasn't a big deal at all! Got lucky this time. I was not looking forward to pulling the turbo to get to everything else. Appreciate everyone's responses. Big thanks!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You might want to check your motor mount on the driver's side. It's possible it is torn which allowed your motor to move and pull on the hose.

THduramax

Will it ever end!
Aug 15, 2012
Flaherty, ky
if it's your motor mounts I jus took mine off.. they look brand new minus scratches and surface rust.. I can hook ya up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csbsixsix

Mar 27, 2014
Wyo
I've had a heater line come off too. Popped the hood and had coolent F'in everywhere. Took a while and just the right angle to see where it all came from