High mpg street truck

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
I have an 80 mile round trip commute to work. I'm wanting a truck that gets awesome fuel mileage and is still fun to drive. I'm thinking lb7 regular cab long bed 2wd either zf6 or auto. I want to shorten the frame and make it a short bed. I think I can get the weight under 4000 lbs

Would high 20 or higher fuel mileage be achievable?

I figure on either a single disc clutch or built auto and an air dog 2, 4" exhaust, cold air intake with an aggressive tune should get me there

I want something fun to drive back and forth to work and a different truck to drive to keep miles off mine. I had a regular cab 2 wd with a five speed before I bought my duramax and really miss shifting gears and having a sport truck

Thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone done this?
Thanks!

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
that sounds like a sweet project. and yeah an LB7 that weights 4k pounds will definitely knock down 20 :D
I'd go the sf-6 route just because they're fun and I too miss rowing gears, unless you do a lot of driving in traffic..

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I get 20+ easily on my heavy truck and when it had the stock turbo I ran an economy tune from Diesel Addiction and got 24.5 hand calculated on a trip once. With the weight your talking about, even if its 5k I think you could hit high twentys if you drive easy.

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
My zf6 gets 26 mpg on the interstate hand calculated.
what speed are you running at to knock that down??? i know OD ratio in the zf's leave a little to be desired

i wonder what a RC/LB or shortbed ZF with good tuning and like a gearvendor's OD could knock down

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
Its on its stock tune with intake and exhaust. I picked up a couple of mpg with the tires.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
My ZF has knocked down a best of 22 mpg hand calc on the interstate with 35" tires and it weighs in at 6700 pounds. I dont think 30 is out of the question with a low ride height, small tires, and maybe a 3.42 ring and pinion. I definitely think a gear change is needed though, otherwise with small tires you'll be spinning to much rpm for economy IMO

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
My ZF has knocked down a best of 22 mpg hand calc on the interstate with 35" tires and it weighs in at 6700 pounds. I dont think 30 is out of the question with a low ride height, small tires, and maybe a 3.42 ring and pinion. I definitely think a gear change is needed though, otherwise with small tires you'll be spinning to much rpm for economy IMO

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

x2 to all of this. You fellas are making me want a reg cab lb7 now :D

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
Thanks for the replies!

I had thought about the gear change but forgot to mention it. I was thinking 3.42 or shorter and some 31" by skinny tire. Lower the torsion bars and take some leafs out of the rear for a nicer ride.

Sure sounds like 30 plus is do able

Would an aftermarket turbo make the truck more efficient or are the lb7 turbo's good enough. I was thinking a 366 on stock sticks with an lbz cp3 would be nice

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I have gotten as high as 19 mpg hand calculated, 2wd, my HTT with about a 450 hp tune, stock wheels, what I call summer street tread tires (not ATR's) at 75 psi, cruise control at 70, moderate terrain. This is a crew cab, long bed 4x4 truck, no real load, 2 adults, 2 kids, and a full tank of fuel.

I think my wife could get over 20 mpg if she would ever drive it again...:roflmao:

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
My truck was getting 22 mpg on the highway last year. I had a 140 mile round trip all highway and the truck just loved it. Makes me think a smaller 2 wd truck would have done a lot better

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I have an 80 mile round trip commute to work. I'm wanting a truck that gets awesome fuel mileage and is still fun to drive. I'm thinking lb7 regular cab long bed 2wd either zf6 or auto. I want to shorten the frame and make it a short bed. I think I can get the weight under 4000 lbs

not going to get close to 4000 with a 2500 truck or a even a 1500 unless you chop the ever living hell out out of it

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
not going to get close to 4000 with a 2500 truck or a even a 1500 unless you chop the ever living hell out out of it

whose to say I wouldn't chop it or put it on a serious diet ;)

I had an 03 f150 v8 5 speed and it was under 4000lbs. I understand that the duramax is quite a bit heavier than the gasser but there are plenty of ways to save weight. zf6 would be lighter than an allison.

First off is making it a shortbed. 2wd instead of 4x4. Aluminum driveshaft. eliminate some rear leaf springs. fiberglass hood and front bumper. rear roll pan. no spare tire. lightweight rims with tall skinny tires. 20 gallon fuel cell. Single battery.

I know there's more to do. I'll just look up Tom Bacon's thread to see how he saved weight. I'm still in the dreaming stage right now so nothing is off the table yet