Hi New guy

Dmax Fan

Mar 27, 2016
Ohio
Hi Everyone

Im John

I have several questions after looking around the site for the past few weeks.

Im looking to get a few different Duramax trucks LB7/LBZ/LML

Who is Idaho Rob? What kind of programing does he do? Is programing needed?

Would it be better to do a emission delete (blocker plate, egr delete, def and dpf removal) or emission friendly programer?

Im looking for fuel efficiency, durability, and reliability. :thumb:

Where could I get this kind of stuff done on my truck in Ohio?

Thanks

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Hi Everyone

Im John

Would it be better to do a emission delete (blocker plate, egr delete, def and dpf removal) or emission friendly programer?

Thanks

I can't help you with all your questions but I will do what I can. Idaho Rob is Rob from Idaho, he used to be the biggest potato farmer in Idaho until Isuzu married Allison. (Let's hope Isuzu is a guy because we all know marriage is between a man and a woman). Well Rob got to looking at Isuzu and Allison's marriage and he said "I am tired of being a potato farmer so I am gonna go into marriage counseling and help Isuzu and Allison produce the best marriage they can be". Thus EFI live by Idaho Rob was born and well the rest is history.........

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
Kidding about what?

I believe Toms Comment stems From Confusion about your first post and the fact you said you want to buy a couple. It says you've been poking around the site for a few weeks.. If that were true I know for a fact your Question Would be more along the lines of ""im not sure if ill be picking up a LB7, LLY or LBZ truck but hopefully you guys can help me decide that and if anyone prefers Idaho Rob over Kory Willis over "Drawing a blank ATM(Moonshine)" I'm looking at getting the tunes to help with my fuel mileage and after reading some of the posts i've decided on the XYZ egr Delete kit a xyz downpipe and full exhausts. Mainly wanting to improved fuel economy on these trucks any other tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ""

Edit: only used those three programmers because they are probably the three most talked about on here...

Dmax Fan

Mar 27, 2016
Ohio
I believe Toms Comment stems From Confusion about your first post and the fact you said you want to buy a couple. It says you've been poking around the site for a few weeks.. If that were true I know for a fact your Question Would be more along the lines of ""im not sure if ill be picking up a LB7, LLY or LBZ truck but hopefully you guys can help me decide that and if anyone prefers Idaho Rob over Kory Willis over "Drawing a blank ATM(Moonshine)" I'm looking at getting the tunes to help with my fuel mileage and after reading some of the posts i've decided on the XYZ egr Delete kit a xyz downpipe and full exhausts. Mainly wanting to improved fuel economy on these trucks any other tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ""

Edit: only used those three programmers because they are probably the three most talked about on here...

Ok yes thats what I meant to ask.

I assumed when I said couple and put LB7/LBZ/LML next to it that everyone would know I meant a couple of trucks.

Sorry for the confusion

Dmax Fan

Mar 27, 2016
Ohio
I can't help you with all your questions but I will do what I can. Idaho Rob is Rob from Idaho, he used to be the biggest potato farmer in Idaho until Isuzu married Allison. (Let's hope Isuzu is a guy because we all know marriage is between a man and a woman). Well Rob got to looking at Isuzu and Allison's marriage and he said "I am tired of being a potato farmer so I am gonna go into marriage counseling and help Isuzu and Allison produce the best marriage they can be". Thus EFI live by Idaho Rob was born and well the rest is history.........

Ok Thanks

I have seen he has done a lot of tunes etc to several trucks. Just wondered who he was and does he do good work? Are there different versions of EFI Live?

What comes with it? Is it a kit?

Also with EFI Live Do you have to install a lift pump?

What do you have to do besides EFI Live to get the best performance? aka durability, fuel efficiency and reliability etc

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Hi Everyone

Im John

Thanks
As mentioned elsewhere on the site, Idaho Rob is Rob Coddens, owner of Adrenaline Truck Performance, located in the treasure valley of Idaho. He does custom tuning for the Duramax, and specializes in emissions-compliant tuning of late-model trucks, though I think he offers delete tunes as well. There are a handful of tuners here on the site, and even more that aren't sponsors. You can't go wrong with any of the vendors here, they all offer good programming.

As for doing an emissions delete or not, that comes down to your area and preference. If you live in an area without emissions tests, you can delete the emissions equipment. You will get a bit better mileage without it, and in theory it can be less maintenance (since you have removed some parts, you don't have to maintain the removed parts). However, deleting is illegal in many (most?) states, and modern emissions-compliant tuning has come a long ways. You can still get really solid power and mileage with a tune and full emissions, then you have no problems with emissions tests, and don't worry about smoke & the negative attention it brings with it.

As for which year(s) of trucks to buy, they all have their issues and their upsides. There are groups of people who swear by each variant. Here is my personal, biased opinion of the different models:

• LB7 No emissions to begin with, best fuel mileage when tuned, but eats injectors regularly (though the new SAC-style tips might help/solve that, time will tell). Has excellent power potential in the aftermarket. I own one, and don't regret it.
  • LLY Gains a VGT for more responsive driving, but some rare trucks had overheating issues. Has wiring harness issues that cause them to drop cylinders occasionally, but can be easily fixed if you are at all handy with tools.
  • LBZ The best of the bunch for near-stock use. VGT, 6-speed transmission, and minimal emissions. Can't think of a downside of this model, actually.
  • LMM Basically a LBZ with a DPF bolted on. Uses post-injection for regen, which shortens oil life, but oil is cheap. Biggest problem with this one is the 2007+ trucks are butt-ugly, and you have to live with that every day. Interior is initially nicer, but doesn't seem to hold up from what I have seen.
  • LML A solid motor in stock form, but the CP4 (high pressure fuel pump) is unreliable compared to the CP3 used on all previous motors. The injectors are also absurdly expensive. Fuel mileage is finally back up near the LB7 thanks to DEF and the fancy injectors. With a CP3 conversion and an emissions-compliant tune, this motor is a force to be reckoned with. Truck is still ugly, but I am holding out hope for the 2017 to go to the light-duty body style, which is less ugly.
Again, that is just my personal, biased opinion, and many will disagree (some people even prefer the looks of the 2007+, those heathens :spit:).

Most of the information you want can be found by searching this forum and the internet in general. Welcome to the site, and overall, you can't go wrong with any year of Duramax, so long as you know what you are getting into.

Oh, and finally, if you tune any year Duramax aggressively, sooner or later, you will toast the transmission, so if you want the most reliability, stick with the stock tune or a "heavy tow" tune (tune for towing heavy things, not an aggressive tune that is "tow safe").

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Ok Thanks

I have seen he has done a lot of tunes etc to several trucks. Just wondered who he was and does he do good work? Are there different versions of EFI Live?

What comes with it? Is it a kit?

Also with EFI Live Do you have to install a lift pump?

What do you have to do besides EFI Live to get the best performance? aka durability, fuel efficiency and reliability etc
There are several options with EFILive.

1. Buy an EFILive FlashScan V2 and a tune (many places include a tune with the V2). This lets you write your own tunes, but many places lock the tune they sell you (including Idaho Rob), so you can't necessarily modify the tune you bought. There are good tunes available for most of the older trucks (LB7, LLY) on this site, if you like to tinker.
  2. Buy an EFILive AutoCal with one or more tunes. It is like a mini-FlashScan, but you can't write your own tunes. This is fine, since most people aren't interested in the time investment, and just want to enjoy the truck.
  3. Send your ECU to the vendor to get tuned, then they mail it back. Many offer an exchange, so you don't have the truck down for a week during shipping. This is not as popular anymore, thanks to the AutoCal.
A lift pump is not required for all tunes, but the stronger the tune, the more likely you are to need a lift pump. Some people believe a lift pump (and the extra filtration it provides) increases the fuel system life, but I am not convinced. It never hurts to add a lift pump, but IMO, it is only necessary on larger tunes.

Each truck has some minor changes that can be made to improve performance besides a tune. I personally have good luck with a tune, lift pump, and built transmission. Stock exhaust, stock intake. ATP has some recommended mods for each year, if you really feel the need to buy parts.

Dmax Fan

Mar 27, 2016
Ohio
As mentioned elsewhere on the site, Idaho Rob is Rob Coddens, owner of Adrenaline Truck Performance, located in the treasure valley of Idaho. He does custom tuning for the Duramax, and specializes in emissions-compliant tuning of late-model trucks, though I think he offers delete tunes as well. There are a handful of tuners here on the site, and even more that aren't sponsors. You can't go wrong with any of the vendors here, they all offer good programming.

As for doing an emissions delete or not, that comes down to your area and preference. If you live in an area without emissions tests, you can delete the emissions equipment. You will get a bit better mileage without it, and in theory it can be less maintenance (since you have removed some parts, you don't have to maintain the removed parts). However, deleting is illegal in many (most?) states, and modern emissions-compliant tuning has come a long ways. You can still get really solid power and mileage with a tune and full emissions, then you have no problems with emissions tests, and don't worry about smoke & the negative attention it brings with it.

As for which year(s) of trucks to buy, they all have their issues and their upsides. There are groups of people who swear by each variant. Here is my personal, biased opinion of the different models:

• LB7 No emissions to begin with, best fuel mileage when tuned, but eats injectors regularly (though the new SAC-style tips might help/solve that, time will tell). Has excellent power potential in the aftermarket. I own one, and don't regret it.
  • LLY Gains a VGT for more responsive driving, but some rare trucks had overheating issues. Has wiring harness issues that cause them to drop cylinders occasionally, but can be easily fixed if you are at all handy with tools.
  • LBZ The best of the bunch for near-stock use. VGT, 6-speed transmission, and minimal emissions. Can't think of a downside of this model, actually.
  • LMM Basically a LBZ with a DPF bolted on. Uses post-injection for regen, which shortens oil life, but oil is cheap. Biggest problem with this one is the 2007+ trucks are butt-ugly, and you have to live with that every day. Interior is initially nicer, but doesn't seem to hold up from what I have seen.
  • LML A solid motor in stock form, but the CP4 (high pressure fuel pump) is unreliable compared to the CP3 used on all previous motors. The injectors are also absurdly expensive. Fuel mileage is finally back up near the LB7 thanks to DEF and the fancy injectors. With a CP3 conversion and an emissions-compliant tune, this motor is a force to be reckoned with. Truck is still ugly, but I am holding out hope for the 2017 to go to the light-duty body style, which is less ugly.
Again, that is just my personal, biased opinion, and many will disagree (some people even prefer the looks of the 2007+, those heathens :spit:).

Most of the information you want can be found by searching this forum and the internet in general. Welcome to the site, and overall, you can't go wrong with any year of Duramax, so long as you know what you are getting into.

Oh, and finally, if you tune any year Duramax aggressively, sooner or later, you will toast the transmission, so if you want the most reliability, stick with the stock tune or a "heavy tow" tune (tune for towing heavy things, not an aggressive tune that is "tow safe").

Thanks for the info Appreciate it :thumb:

I don't want to aggressively tune or build my own tune. Don't want to due anything crazy. Trying/wanting to keep the truck(s) as "stock" as possible.

Dmax Fan

Mar 27, 2016
Ohio
There are several options with EFILive.

1. Buy an EFILive FlashScan V2 and a tune (many places include a tune with the V2). This lets you write your own tunes, but many places lock the tune they sell you (including Idaho Rob), so you can't necessarily modify the tune you bought. There are good tunes available for most of the older trucks (LB7, LLY) on this site, if you like to tinker.
  2. Buy an EFILive AutoCal with one or more tunes. It is like a mini-FlashScan, but you can't write your own tunes. This is fine, since most people aren't interested in the time investment, and just want to enjoy the truck.
  3. Send your ECU to the vendor to get tuned, then they mail it back. Many offer an exchange, so you don't have the truck down for a week during shipping. This is not as popular anymore, thanks to the AutoCal.
A lift pump is not required for all tunes, but the stronger the tune, the more likely you are to need a lift pump. Some people believe a lift pump (and the extra filtration it provides) increases the fuel system life, but I am not convinced. It never hurts to add a lift pump, but IMO, it is only necessary on larger tunes.

Each truck has some minor changes that can be made to improve performance besides a tune. I personally have good luck with a tune, lift pump, and built transmission. Stock exhaust, stock intake. ATP has some recommended mods for each year, if you really feel the need to buy parts.

Again, Thanks for the info. :)

This is what I was trying to get info on.

Dmax Fan

Mar 27, 2016
Ohio

Ok Im not the best with wording stuff. I know what I want to say just don't come out on the keyboard or in my writing

dunnc1991

May 27, 2015
Winchester, VA
What kind of Transmission upgrade would I need to get for an EFI Live installed? Lift pump?

Nothing for trans upgrade, as long as you don't run a big tune and beat on it hard. Allison's don't like extra power in Stock form, so you do run the risk of smoking your trans at some point when running any tune over stock. My LBZ has EFI, and a lift pump and does everything I need it to. I'd love more power, but don't want to get into a built trans just yet.

Dmax Fan

Mar 27, 2016
Ohio
Nothing for trans upgrade, as long as you don't run a big tune and beat on it hard. Allison's don't like extra power in Stock form, so you do run the risk of smoking your trans at some point when running any tune over stock. My LBZ has EFI, and a lift pump and does everything I need it to. I'd love more power, but don't want to get into a built trans just yet.

Yes don't want or plan to run big tune. Want to keep truck as "stock" as possible. Nothing crazy just something to improve fuel economy, performance and reliability

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Which part?

ALL of it!!!!

As to my initial comment....you had me confuzzled, b/c:

You've been on the Place since 2006, yet you have no idea who IdahoRob is? :confused: Then you ask about deletes or programmers or EFILive like you've never heard of them? :confused: Again.....you've been a DP member since 06. :confused: What were you reading that whole time? :rofl:

It would've been helpful if you specified which generation truck you were interested in. (Dave's posts was especially helpful there -- he's like that. ;)) But hey, if you're gonna buy more than one, then everything depends on what you are going to do with said trucks. I always default to LBZ/LMM, depending on which body style you like. ;)

I believe FirePunk may be getting into Dmaxes, since Adam went there (You do know who Adam is? If not -- he's the guy who drives a gazillion miles, posts pics of what he hauls, and seems to have the worst luck on the planet with his truck)
You could also check with Stingpuller (Jeff Dean) on here. I do believe he could help you out, or would know someone who could. ;)

Dmax Fan

Mar 27, 2016
Ohio
ALL of it!!!!

As to my initial comment....you had me confuzzled, b/c:

You've been on the Place since 2006, yet you have no idea who IdahoRob is? :confused: Then you ask about deletes or programmers or EFILive like you've never heard of them? :confused: Again.....you've been a DP member since 06. :confused: What were you reading that whole time? :rofl:

It would've been helpful if you specified which generation truck you were interested in. (Dave's posts was especially helpful there -- he's like that. ;)) But hey, if you're gonna buy more than one, then everything depends on what you are going to do with said trucks. I always default to LBZ/LMM, depending on which body style you like. ;)

I believe FirePunk may be getting into Dmaxes, since Adam went there (You do know who Adam is? If not -- he's the guy who drives a gazillion miles, posts pics of what he hauls, and seems to have the worst luck on the planet with his truck)
You could also check with Stingpuller (Jeff Dean) on here. I do believe he could help you out, or would know someone who could. ;)

Ok thanks

Yes I was just trying to get peoples thoughts on programers/EFI Live etc. I have seen a lot of people say to install EFI if you install any kind of programer.

Seen on a lot of peoples signatures that was tuned by Idaho Rob. But never said who he was or anything. I did searches for him but all I could get was he was from Idaho and worked at ATS. Was trying to peoples thoughts on him and his work. Then I saw on his blog on his website about his truck (LML) that he is currently working on but keeping emissions intact. Lift Pump/programer etc.

LB7 01 to 04
LBZ 06/07
LML 15/16

Thanks Again

Been reading a lot on engines/transmissions. issues/problems etc as well as new trucks. To help decide which trucks to get with the right engine i want.

Sorry for the confusion. I should have used better wording

Last edited: