HG Or Swap

bsearless

Only one way to learn
Feb 1, 2014
Mt. Etna, Indiana
All signs pointing to blown head gaskets.
Here is the debate.
Have two quotes for right around 3500 on repair from local shops. So trailer the truck to shop and pay the hard cash for repair.
or Have found a complete 2003 LB7 motor with 190k (gm replaced injectors at 112k) from a rollover on craigslist. Final cost of right about 3000 for the motor and fuel to go get it. Then swap the motors out myself.
What do you guys think?

TQMONSTR

Nov 19, 2009
Canada
swap. You have a spare to build if you want to then. You could also sell the old motor or parts off the old motor to recoup some of the cost.

Redneckzombie21

Feb 28, 2013
i would do the head gaskets your self if u are thinking u can do a motor swap then u could do the gaskets your self. i am a diesel tech and can pull both heads in less then 3 hours i don't even remove the turbo take the bridge off and the drivers side manifold and u can have it out in no time spend the money get the heads serviced and head studs grade c gaskets and some gray silicone all the other gaskets are reusable but a few o rings u will have to change. u could do it your self and only spend 1200-1500 depending on the head servicing. then u know what u have idk the mileage on the truck.. craigslist is hard to deal with people lie so bad on there and there could be damage to the crank or bent rod it they tried to start it and it could have hryoded but that's just my opinion doing the head job your self u know what u have

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

If you are ready to swap motors (plus your injectors, I assume) then you are ready to pop the heads off.

bsearless

Only one way to learn
Feb 1, 2014
Mt. Etna, Indiana
that's the main worry about the craigslist deal is risk of not knowing exactly what I am getting. but the reward is having the extra motor to later on do the HGs and sell for the extra cash.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
that's the main worry about the craigslist deal is risk of not knowing exactly what I am getting. but the reward is having the extra motor to later on do the HGs and sell for the extra cash.

Save cash and do your own Hg job. Parts will run you 900 area shipped. Let me know if I can help.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
X2 on DIY. I did mine last year for $1050 all said and done and after my bill from the machine shop. I got my parts from Henry also.

bsearless

Only one way to learn
Feb 1, 2014
Mt. Etna, Indiana
ok, going with the diy route to save cash for the upcoming 21st bday. will be on the search for parts and a kit tonight while at work. anyone know of any diy threads with pics? planning on getting a book either way. thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
ok, going with the diy route to save cash for the upcoming 21st bday. will be on the search for parts and a kit tonight while at work. anyone know of any diy threads with pics? planning on getting a book either way. thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for parts the man posted above, Henry will treat you right.

bsearless

Only one way to learn
Feb 1, 2014
Mt. Etna, Indiana
another question is a list of needed tools. seeming kind of "needy" but just trying to get an idea of everything ill need so I can get it done smoothly and not running around getting tools and such through the process. like to be as organized and prepared as possible.