Herculined the sides (body line down), bumper etc.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
That looks awesome! I've been wanting to do that myself. I'm not a fan of rock gaurds and running around with Baja MTZ's my rockers have gotten torn up.

I'll post some pics of mine once I do it too. Give you guys an idea of how the white looks.

I'd like to see how it turns out :thumb:

maXstaX

Aug 7, 2010
I've had my rockers herculined for 2 years now. Everyone is right about it getting chalky. Also be easy on it with the pressure washer, use the light pressure and stand back away from it when you wash it. Try to be very careful when waxing your truck because it will look terrible if you get wax on it. Best advice is to tape off the herculiner when you wax it. The only thing that kinda worked for getting wax off was peanut butter. Expect to recoat about once a year.

Turtle wax ICE synthetic paste dries shiny with no chalky streak lines. :thumb:

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Man I'm bummed.... from the way it sounds, this stuff isn't even as tough as paint :( :rofl:

And the clear I used isn't by any means expensive (quality) clear coat... I figure it's one notch above using spray can clear lol

........... Damnit!!!

Does it take a special gun to spray some of these other kinds?

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
wow i remember using herculiner on my old chevy and that stuff was like damn rubber razor blades...i was thinking of doing the body line down...anyone have this done on a white truck?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I've had my rockers herculined for 2 years now. Everyone is right about it getting chalky. Also be easy on it with the pressure washer, use the light pressure and stand back away from it when you wash it. Try to be very careful when waxing your truck because it will look terrible if you get wax on it. Best advice is to tape off the herculiner when you wax it. The only thing that kinda worked for getting wax off was peanut butter. Expect to recoat about once a year.

Doesn't a fragile bedliner defeat the purpose? I think the raptor liner I just sprayed is going to hold up damn well, but it's too early to tell in my
opinion. To me it doesn't make sense to ruin a surface by sanding it, then cover it with something more fragile then the paint underneath it. I can send you pictures or give you prep info if you like.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
So it looks like spraying some raptor would have been the way to go.. that stuff looks really good from the quick research I just did. I usually do my homework before pulling the trigger, but I blew it here.

If I get too close with the pressure washer and it starts to come off.......... it's all coming off and I'm trying something else.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
So it looks like spraying some raptor would have been the way to go.. that stuff looks really good from the quick research I just did. I usually do my homework before pulling the trigger, but I blew it here.

If I get too close with the pressure washer and it starts to come off.......... it's all coming off and I'm trying something else.

Happens to everyone. I've seen alot of jeep tubs with raptor and Big Angry has had it on his truck for over a year so I went with it. I'd just strip the herc off and redo it honestly. The raptor kit with gun, liner, and hardener was $110 in town. Scuff with 36 grit clean with MEK and squirt if with raptor. Let Each coat flash 1hr.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I'd try pressure washer angled with the body first if that doesn't work brake fluid will soften it

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
I'll plan on buying a Raptor kit next month (payed once a month).... if for some reason it starts flaking before then I'll do it sooner. I'd like to get the kit on hand so when it starts giving me any kind of trouble I'm ready to rip it off and do it to it...

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
So are we all on the same wagon when it comes to this raptor stuff? I am interested in this as well.

Smokum

May 21, 2010
x2 on the Raptor

I sprayed it on my dads 1 ton dump (Dodge but thats not the point in this thread). It's been on since March and is holding up very well. The biggest thing is the prep work. He had one small spot that he didn't scuff up very well where he did a little body work and it popped right away. We sanded that spot off again and resprayed it and you can't tell at all. It is sticking very well everywhere else as well as the spot we fixed.

The nice part about the Raptor liner is that it is more of a hard plastic finish than rubber. It is almost like a pendaliner feel IMO. It dries w/ a little gloss to it. It doesn't catch you towel when drying the truck off like a Line-X or Herculiner does. I also think the more gloss finish will help w/ fading as well.

It was a great option for him as there were some rust spot starting that he fixed. You don't have to be near as fussy w/ the bodywork as the texture helps hide the imperfections. Also, more than likely the rust will eventually re appear, and it will be easy to fix and respray agian if that happens.

I think it is the best bang for your buck as well as the best product that I have seen for this type of application.:thumb:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
So are we all on the same wagon when it comes to this raptor stuff? I am interested in this as well.

Josh I've tried duplicolor, herculiner, etc etc. Nothing compares to the raptor liner. You spray it on with a schutz gun just like commercial liners. My friend worked at a custom paint shop for years and taught me a ton about prep and that's all the difference. If you search my threads look at the good good lovin one. It explains stuff and has pictures. Sorry TJI didn't mean to derail your thread. Just didn't want your hard work to be wasted

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
Josh I've tried duplicolor, herculiner, etc etc. Nothing compares to the raptor liner. You spray it on with a schutz gun just like commercial liners. My friend worked at a custom paint shop for years and taught me a ton about prep and that's all the difference. If you search my threads look at the good good lovin one. It explains stuff and has pictures. Sorry TJI didn't mean to derail your thread. Just didn't want your hard work to be wasted

Is the gun included or do you have to purchase it seperate.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I thought about doing that, in fact, I made a thread about it on the DF. My plans are to get some black wheel, build my own grille and paint it black and build my own bumper either the prerunner style or like the ironbull setup. It's pretty much going to be a white n black theme. I got quite a few chips on it too....

The tricky part is that I like my truck to look clean but not sure how it will stand out with the mods I plan to do.

I know a truck like that... :D After all that black the liner on the rockers would be too much IMO

Sorry. I looked this up and it does come with the gun.

Yes you have to be careful when you order as there are kits that come with the gun and ones that done. Also there is a black version and a tintable version. This stuff is actually cheaper than herculiner. It comes with a whole gallon of material and mine was $110 plus tax with the gun. Herculiner was ~$30/qt last time I checked.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
No derail at all! Good info on the right way to do it!

Well... I'm just going to go with it, and if/when it starts giving me trouble I know what to do next time now!!

Damn shame though!!! because it looks good right now! (I have my roll pan lined as well but haven't put it on yet... next couple days)

Attachments

• Herculined1.JPG
    Herculined1.JPG
    309.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Herculinded2.JPG
    Herculinded2.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 28