LBZ: Help with glow plug replacement

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Looks like GP #6 went bad is there anything I need to know about replacing it? Other then don't break off the tip in the engine. #6 is the 3rd one on the driver side right? The TQ specs for the LLYs are 13lb ft is the LBZ the same or close enough? Anti seize?

I read on a TBS posted on DP if
"Ignition OFF, and the affected glow plug disconnected, measure the resistance between the affected glow plug terminal and ground with a DMM for less than 1 ohm. If the resistance is greater than 1 ohm, replace all of the glow plugs."
correct? If thats the case I'll let GM do all 8 for the $100 deductible.

Thanks

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I didn't get any reading trying to test the ohms. Any idea? Whats the part # for the glow plugs?

Edit: Well I guess I didn't have a good ground did it again and got .6 ohms at the glow plug. Should I stick with GM for the glow plug or Napa ETC?

Last edited:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
stick with the factory ones. also they come out quite easy. just remove the bar that is bolted to the glowplug terminals.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Texas motor shouldnt have too much corrosion around the GPs, unlike us up here in the norther, saltier climates. Just take your time unscrewing each one. Good Luck.

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Is replacing glow plugs a complicated thing to do? Im fairly sure mine are bad. How much do they cost too?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
If you can change the oil you can do glow the plugs. They are 17per+ shipping on gmpartsdirect, but you might check they might be covered under the 100K power train. But it has a $100 deductible. GM PART #97364968

Well its not the glow plug its the GPCM I think. Can someone give me the the part # for the GPCM for the LBZ please?

I'm still confused on
"Ignition OFF, and the affected glow plug disconnected, measure the resistance between the affected glow plug terminal and ground with a DMM for less than 1 ohm. If the resistance is greater than 1 ohm, replace all of the glow plugs."
Why would you replace the glow plugs wouldn't that mean the harness is grounding out somewhere?

Also when GM list parts as left and right its from standing at the front of the truck right? I busted my passenger side(left?) mirror in a parking garage today.:mad:

Last edited:

KILO

Oct 21, 2014
Looking For Part # for LBZ Glow Plug

Just searched online @ GMPartsDirect.com for glow plug for my 2006 LBZ. It gave me part #: 12639701 and a price of $20'ish for each glow plug. I noticed this # was different than what you stated below (GM PART #97364968).....that glow plug is $30'ish each. Can you tell me which is the correct glow plug for my LBZ (stock glow plugs installed)? Also, Diagnostics say only my #6 glow plug is bad........am I ok changing only the #6 glow plug, or should I change all of them?

If you can change the oil you can do glow the plugs. They are 17per+ shipping on gmpartsdirect, but you might check they might be covered under the 100K power train. But it has a $100 deductible. GM PART #97364968

Well its not the glow plug its the GPCM I think. Can someone give me the the part # for the GPCM for the LBZ please?

I'm still confused on
Why would you replace the glow plugs wouldn't that mean the harness is grounding out somewhere?

Also when GM list parts as left and right its from standing at the front of the truck right? I busted my passenger side(left?) mirror in a parking garage today.:mad:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I would get the 61s if you can find them. Then you would for sure be good just replacing the one. I don't know whats the deal with the 9g. It was and old GP in the 6.5s that had a really bad reputation. I have a feeling it has been revamped so it is safe to use as a replacement for the 61g now. If you can't find the 61g make sure the 9g you get are replacements for the 61g not old stock 9g. If using the 9g you might do all of them so that they are all the same.

I have only been replacing GP as they went bad and still have some originals left in my engine. So no need to do more then one at a time unless your going to the 9g maybe.