Help with Airdog 165 blowing fuses.

Dale08

Jul 29, 2016
AR
I installed an Airdog 165 late last year. A month ago when I was tuning, it was working. Tuesday I was towing and noticed it a bit sluggish. I noticed I had a blown fuse. New one in, blew it on the next drive. Wiggled some wires around, checked to make sure no tree rats got into my wiring. All looks good. Another fuse in. Made it to work, and then blew while driving around at lunch.

Hot wire is on the drivers battery.
Ground and relay is screwed to inner fender on drivers side.
Trigger wire is tapped in with fuse12?? engine bay fuse box(ecm fuse).
Wire to pump is zip tied to factory harness down drivers side.
Extra wire in engine bay is zip tied to the coresupport/fender brace above the battery.
The 2 extra wires for whatever, are heat shrink tubed protected.

I just ran the pump for 20min off a battery charger. While doing this I shook as much wire as I could. Felt of the pump, it was no hotter than I expected(its hot enough here to sweat standing still).

What am I missing? Besides changing my trigger wire to in the cab junction block, any way to improve this?

Hoffie

Mar 10, 2015
Far East LA - aka Phoenix
Dumb question - but did you replace the correct sized fuse in to the harness? Only blowing the fuse under load?

I would also probably change that fuse location in the under hood block to a different fuse position, something less important than the ECM like maybe the a/c one, etc... I think the install video has it on #3 if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

Dale08

Jul 29, 2016
AR
Fuse 3 is "engine". The ac fuse is only hot when the ac is on, not keyed.

I guess I should mention, the fuse I am blowing is the stand alone one for the pump that is hooked to the battery.

Dale08

Jul 29, 2016
AR
ok, observation on last 2 drives. My truck has been recently saying change fuel filter (I installed this and new truck filter at same time).

Both runs that these fuses have blown, I did a hard run on it. So maybe the pump was struggling. So I just changed the filter. Will try this tomm.

malar24

May 14, 2012
NE Ohio
If nothing changes on your next drive an it blows the fuse again then your pump is bad. I had this exact problem here a few months ago. I d call Airdog and tell them the whole story and as long as you sent your warranty card in they should send you a new pump.

Dale08

Jul 29, 2016
AR
Ok, So far after replacing the filter, and draining the water separator. It seemed to be working. But last night of this morning it went out again. So I will be contacting the mfg about warranty. I never sent in my warranty card. But on their site it says 1year even if you didn't.

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
They good folks will prob honor warranty without card. I was blowing the little fuse in fuse box never did figure it out just put a 10 amp in instead of 5 but I talked to them at that time they said if my pump was bad would replace no charge I have a 4g its about 2 years old.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Dale08

Jul 29, 2016
AR
They have already responded. So I will need to be doing some trouble shooting at their request. Hell, may even help find the issue.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Ohm it, and ring it.... Make sure where your zip ties are you have heat shrink or something to protect against rub. I also dought its your switch but ohm it if you want should be around one ohm. Check it for excessive heat. Think about adding a solenoid and not running constant amps through your switches. Sounds like a crap motor thoe.

Dale08

Jul 29, 2016
AR
Ok, after some trouble shooting and finding my proof of purchase. They warrantied it. Got new pump in today and it is not the correct pump. I have the Dog2 165, and they sent me the raptor 100 :(

D_R_C

Retired
Oct 31, 2011
Rocky Top, USA
Then wire it like it's suppose to be wired, not on the main battery positive post hot side.
Ignition only, on when the key is turned on, then off when the key is turned off using a 2 amp fuse only.
There is no need for a relay, and the 2 wires you don't know what they are for, they are for a low pressure sensor with a Amber light that you can install in the cab. The green light on the right is on only when my LP is running, the amber goes on when it detects fuel pressure lower than 5psi.
This is a extra cost from AD.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: