HELP please! Brake light and chimes on, but...

AgmansDuramax

Diesel Fanatic!
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
I could REALLY use some help, I just bought this truck about a month ago, 2002 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax with Allison tranny, it has 236K miles on it, and I have no owner/operator manual for it. The other day the brake "idiot" light came on, along with the nerve racking "chimes", when I was just making a turn almost at an idle, my brake fluid reservoir is right where it should be, and my brakes work GREAT! I checked for codes and found none, I unhooked batteries, left off overnight, and rehooked the next day, still have the "brake" idiot light come on right at start up! Can anyone PLEASE help me figure out what is causing this??!!!??? My cruise control also works great, with no issues, so I wouldn't think it would be a speed sensor (though I'm not positive of this), I can't think of what else it might be, also, it is ONLY the "brake" idiot light, NOT the ABS light, if that helps at all. Thank you in advance for any help and assistance you can give me, I'm at "wits end" on this one!
Best regards to all,
Jeff

AgmansDuramax

Diesel Fanatic!
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
Thank you VERY kindly for the info, I have already checked for codes, none were present. I also checked the e-brake, but will check it again. I'm not sure about the brake fluid level sensor, I will check that out as well. I will let you all know what I find, but again, thank you VERY much for your help, expertise, and input!!!
Best regards,
Jeff

AgmansDuramax

Diesel Fanatic!
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
Update, just thought I would let you all know I found the problem, I still can't believe it though. It turns out that my e-brake pedal was just barely depressed, but evidently it was just enough to set off everything off. It was SO lightly depressed that just pulling the release lever didn't do anything, I actually had to depress the pedal further, then release it. Boy I guess those "sensors" are VERY touchy!!! Thanks for all the help and input, it is greatly appreciated!
Jeff

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Just be thankful yours works, unlike both Duramax's I've owned. My lly gives no lights or chimes. I drove around all day towing a trailer with my brake set. E-brake no worky no mo now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk