help new pcm

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
Hi I have a chevy 2002 duramax 6.6 turbo.i bought the truck from my niebor. I seen him drive it to work for at least six months.he said he unhook both batteries and the truck never started again.he said it threw it into theft mode.the theft light blinks when you try to start it.i guess you need a tech 2 scanner to clear it.so I took the truck to the dealership they had it for 2 months.they said i need a new pcm computer. It's gonna be 2000 dollars to fix.they said there might be more to the problem.i bought the truck for 4000 with a clean title. What other options do I have.i seen the pcm on ebay for 800.there saying it's 1700 plus labor.they also said it needs to be program by gm. Help please.are they hard to install or should I take to a different mechanic or leave at the dealership? Thanks in advance.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I think you mean ECM (engine control module), not PCM (powertrain control module). The Duramax has a separate ECM and TCM.

Either way, a LB7 Duramax ECM is only $300 (from SoCalDiesel), which isn't terrible.

If the problem really is the ant-theft, you can also do a relearn for free. The procedure takes a while, but is simple enough. Here is how to do it.

And finally, a bump in less than 2 hours? Give it some time, man! Most people are still at work right now!

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
Sorry I got nervous when I heard they were trying to charge me 2000.so I talk to Lorenzo from so cal diesel. He said he can rebuild my ecm and if he can't he got a new one pre flashed before he ships it out.he just need my vin#.all for 300$ just like you guys said.you guys are the best thank you.

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
I will thank you.so it says turn ignition on then wait 10 mins or til security light turns off.if ten mins go by and the light is still on do I turn off ignition or do I wait to till light turns off regardless how long it takes?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Yes I'm In bako.so if you unhook both batteries can that really set of the theft mode?
I've seen GM's lose the theft code while running, so anything is possible(it has been known to get tripped if you even just hesitate while turning it from on to start. If the BCM thinks that the key switch is turned in a fashion like somebody jimmying the switch, it will shut it down). It takes some time, but try the theft learn 1st. Turn the key on, try to start it for a second and then leave it in the on position for 10 minutes or until the theft light goes out. Repeat it 2 more times, after it goes out for the 3rd time, try to start it and it should go. Otherwise it could be a BCM issue, or a problem in the theft data link between the BCM and ECM. I know at least my 01 ECM uses a dedicated data line between the ECM and BCM for the theft signal to allow it to start.

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
Thanks.i thought it would work the security light didn't even come on on the third cycle.then it started flashing when I tried to start it.how come you ask if I was from bakersfield?