Help me decide, BMW or Audi

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
I bought a 94 q45 with low miles for 1500 bucks, through some money at it and now I have a reliable VIP style car with a v8 known to perform for 6 grand total.

Mike's right about repairs, with any German or Japanese vehicle. I'm not impressed with BMW personally. Vw seems cheap though they do offer a diesel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 31

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Funny thing is, I'm not a big Audi fan at all, I always loved the gti from way back in the 80's, but not a car I "longed" to own, then out of sheer hatred for spending money on fuel, I traded my procharged 1500hd in on a new 11 mk6 golf tdi, and what can I say, I loved the little car, so much so that through circumstance I was lucky enough to (in a round about way) upgrade to an R

The mk5 (06-09) and the mk6 (10-14) have similarities, they really are completely different though. I bought my 11 tdi new, I drove the piss outta that car and it was a flawless functioning vehicle for almost 70k, then we traded it for the wife's car. I should have stated that the 2010 to current model year aka the mk6 platform, is the vw's I would look for, they are pretty bullet proof, electrical issues have all been worked out, transmissions were better, interior material is better, engine and head has been revised, they have a few minor issues that can be quickly addressed, as most all cars do, and there are several really good tuners out there that support the 2.0T TSI/FSI engine.

The VW mk6 golf platform has been a good and fun car for me:rolleyes:

That's good you didn't have problems like us, but if you had to drop about 4k into repairing your VW you might have a different opinion. That's with me doing all the work. So much for the fuel savings! Ours does have higher miles but hey it's a diesel, they should last quite a while. Other than the motor I think the car is put together well. Interior is solid and it handles great, but I will never own another one. Their are better cars out there that won't leave me stranded in Florida 1,400 miles from home.

bartman432

Nov 4, 2011
Just traded in a 2011 Mercedes C300 for a new Audi 2.0 Quattro. It's my wife's car. Between the two, we feel the Audi is much nicer. It rides better, the seats are more comfortable, and there is more rear passenger room. I personally don't like BMWs. If BMW cars are anything like their motorcycles, they are pieces of crap...:roflmao:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
We have a 2006/A4-3.2-6 speed manual.

Wife loves it, it has 155K on it and other than a couple bad cam sensors and coil pack it's been a great car.

It rides really nice and is very well put together.

I own a Ross Tech Can/Hex cable that I can scan the car with an recode it.

I would not even look at a BMW...........plus the Quattro is awesome in the rain and snow

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
BMW. Stay away from the twin turbo ones & V8s if you want dead reliable. Stick with the simple I-6. Try to find an 08+. They changed a lot of stuff on the motor when they upped the displacement to 3.0L in 2008.

To quote Jeremy Clarkson "The arrogant cocks that used to drive BMWs all drive Audis now." :rofl:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
We sold our 98 BMW 540I and bought a 2010 Infiniti Q37x...........we would rather have our 540 back or a newer 535 with a 6 speed.Just cant get into the Infiniti,theres just nothing really attractive about the car I guess, it is allwheel drive and will be a great car in the snow and ice for the wife. better choice would have been the 535x but we got a good deal on the Infiniti.Wish BMW made a 545 with x drive and 6 or 7 speed stick we would have been all over that.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Shame on each and everyone of you's recommending a car other then a Chevrolet or GMC! Says the guy with a Audi in his sig! But there is a story that goes with that so don't!

For what you will pay for the well equipped Audi or BMW why not take a Malibu or a Cad-doo or Buick for a test spin? Food for thought!

For the record the new Audi's and BMW's look like poop

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Arent the new Cadillacs made in China? My mom has a 2013 Malibu and to compare it to a German car is just short of insane. I agree on the looks. WTF is BMW thinking making the headlights sweep in to meet the kidneys? IMO, German cars are just so much more well made, thought out and fun to drive than anything from this country. I had a Chrysler 300 for a rental car and I couldn't wait to return it. So many blind spots and the ergonomics of the interior were all wrong. Not too mention the cheap plastic and pleather everywhere.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
What about a new Chevy SS (like the Pontiac G8 GT), Nomad or SS Coupe.

SS Coupe
uploadfromtaptalk1378392527247.jpg
Nomad
uploadfromtaptalk1378392549572.jpg
Chevy SS
uploadfromtaptalk1378392576200.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378392527247.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378392527247.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 54
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378392549572.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378392549572.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 58
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378392576200.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378392576200.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 52

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Arent the new Cadillacs made in China? My mom has a 2013 Malibu and to compare it to a German car is just short of insane. I agree on the looks. WTF is BMW thinking making the headlights sweep in to meet the kidneys? IMO, German cars are just so much more well made, thought out and fun to drive than anything from this country. I had a Chrysler 300 for a rental car and I couldn't wait to return it. So many blind spots and the ergonomics of the interior were all wrong. Not too mention the cheap plastic and pleather everywhere.

I was referring to looks on the Malibu. I haven't driven a LTZ but they seem to win numerous awards . I've been thinking on dumping my Audi for one to be honest with you. But I haven't driven one or sat in one you have more experience in one. Share your thoughts if you might

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Oh and you might be right about the new Caddy's . Look today every car is a mutt in this global economy/ industry. Quite the shame actually

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I was referring to looks on the Malibu. I haven't driven a LTZ but they seem to win numerous awards . I've been thinking on dumping my Audi for one to be honest with you. But I haven't driven one or sat in one you have more experience in one. Share your thoughts if you might

Its a good car. I agree, they look awesome. The interior is nice and doesnt feel too cheap. She has the N/A 4 cyl and its adequate power. Gets good mileage. Its surprisingly quiet and handles great compared to previous Malibus. That being said I'd rather have a TDi Jetta for that price. Damn! 32k MSRP on an LTZ all decked out!

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
You cannot go wrong with a 08 and newer CTS-V. The new ATS's are pretty awesome too with the 3.6L. Can't wait for the V version to be released!

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Chevrolet Cruze LTZ diesel edition. :woott: Fleece is going for 400fwhp. That's front wheel horsepower, not fly wheel horsepower now that EFI Live is supporting them. :woott:

Although my VW Jetta TDI has over 320K miles on it, it has it's fair share of squeaks, rattles and noises. I have a LOT of records on it and not one clutch replacement can be found. :eek: It does have new(er) injectors & injection pump. Then since I've had it (almost 2 years) I've put brakes all the way around it, had the intake tract cleaned out, the head rebuilt and a new glowplug harness installed. Turbo still in fine shape. It's loaded up with every option for the year and I do thoroughly enjoy it but I'm likely going with a diesel Cruze as soon as I swing the money for one! Heck, the gasser Cruze gets 32-38mpg on the road! That's fantastic! Surely the diesel Cruze will do 8-12mpg better than that? Which is better than my TDI gets (consistently right at 40-41mpg).

plumber802

OCD Diesel Head
Mar 23, 2013
Vermont
Audi.

the reason everyone whines that they are "expensive to fix" is because Audi people only take their cars to Audi dealer to be fixed...obviously the Audi dealer is going to rip people off. And most independent shops wont touch them "because oooo omg its a german car, it must be soooo complicated".

Buy the parts yourself, and fix the thing yourself, and Audi's really arent anymore expensive to repair than any other foreign car.

ben

Could not have said this better myself Ben.
My wife has a 2008 Audi A4 and I do all the maintenance and occasional repairs on it.This car is fairly easy to work on and has been 100% reliable so far at 65000 miles.I had to change out a snub mount last week,cost was $30 for the part and 20 minutes of my time.Rear brakes at 64,xxx miles were purchased at autozone for $125 total (made in Germany).The Audi forums (much like the Duramax forums) are very helpful.Good luck with your decision and thanks for your service.:thumb::thumb::thumb: