Help.... lost 4 cyls

cum4acummins

2001 3/4 CC LB AT 4WD
Nov 29, 2009
Rapid City, SD
Well you guys as well as I know the notorious injector problem... Well here's my caveat. I changed the lft bank first (btw what a pain). well I got codes for 1 7 4 and 2 and 1249. Well dunno what went wrong. So I changed the right also. same codes I have ohmed the wiring through the injectors from the FICM. All injectors ohm out. So essance I have checked the wiring power and ground side of all injectors through the splices also. Could I have accidently fried the FICM? Is that possible? What else should I approach? Don't want to go to the dealership.

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
So lets get this straight. You replaced the left bank (drivers side) injectors, tried to start the engine and had codes for injector circuits for 1,7,4 and 2 and also a DTC 1249. You replaced the right bank (passenger side) injectors and now you still have the same problem. Correct???

What are the codes for the injectors circuits, (open, voltage high, voltage low)??

What were the resistances of each injector circuit whe you checked the resistance of each?

What was the reason for replacing the injectors to start with? Same problem, fuel in the oil or white smoke issues?

cum4acummins

2001 3/4 CC LB AT 4WD
Nov 29, 2009
Rapid City, SD
I have open codes and come to find out that they all run off the same string of power. I ohmed the wires from the ficm down and they all have continuity. All 8 are .4 to .6ohms and replaced injectors due to smoke and 5 gals out of pan on oil change. No smoke problem now.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Moved here!:D

I'm not sure if it's possible or if it would make a difference but did you get the wires mixed up on the injectors? Did a pin get bent or pushed over in the plug that comes out of the valve cover?

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Interesting, maybe you did smoke a FICM. I had a similiar situation one time. and a FICM fixed it, but the one I was working on never though any codes. If they are all running off the same power source, is it getting power? Have you checked all the fuses? No wires were accidentally cought under the valve cover upon reinstallation and shorted to ground?? Just thinking out loud. Good luck man.,

cum4acummins

2001 3/4 CC LB AT 4WD
Nov 29, 2009
Rapid City, SD
LBZ, If I woulda mixed wires I'd have a funny running engine probably w/ no codes though. I am getting Injectors open. 2nd one would have been a good possibility but the wires ohm out to the FICM. Good thought though

Jneal Good thought but I'm Ahead of you there. Tried running it w/o the valve cover and checked for short to ground. Wiring is good there. Just hate to put a FICM and waste the money if I don't have to. I also have a wire for the GPR that is cut dunno where it goes. Wish I could get a picture of a person's harness to GPR off a LB7. Currently waiting on a used FICM Hope it works. Sure hate to have more issues.:D

Hey btw Are you trying to copy me Jneal? I had a 07 6.7 b4 but a QCLB Dually. That Exhaust brake sure works well in tow mode don't it. Just gets crap mileage. I got upwards 27.6 b4 round trip from Douglas WY to Golden CO. Camper on top grossing 14K behind got 11 ave empty 18. Drive really slow and keep in peak torque of 1600RPM.

Don't you have your rigs mixed up isn't the Dodge a better toy?

Last edited: