Hello From Indiana!

twl2u87

Oct 1, 2018
Indiana
Hey everyone! New to the forum from Northwest Indiana. Currently do not own a Duramax but i'm actively searching for one! Specifically looking for a LB7 or LLY. Always been a GM truck guy (Current ride = 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 All-terrain). But looking to sell my truck and get an older body style.
Diesels are relatively new to me, so forgive me in advance if i'm not up to par!

I have found a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 hd LT 4X4 crew cab VIN #2 for sale in the Chicago land area. With 248,xxx miles They want $9,995. I think i can talk him down. Needs two rear tires for sure, and body is somewhat rougher than online pictures show.

I've watched some youtube videos on what to look for before buying a LLY. I've seen where making sure (engine sitting over night) radiator hose to thermostat housing is soft and not rock hard. Sign of bad head gaskets? Well that checked out and rad hose was soft. Also seen to check before starting, taking cap off coolant reservoir to make sure no trapped air. Also checked out fine. While running I also took of engine oil cap and placed upside down, to check for blow by. No blow by either.
At initial start up I did not smell an excess of diesel fuel, from possible bad injectors?

I took it for a test drive and boy did she get up and go! To me, it felt to pull pretty strong.

Compared to a 2003 3500hd crew cab (non dually) that I test drove the day after. That truck i'm sure has injectors problems, also has been on the market since January.

But is there anything else anyone could think of that I should check for next time I go there?

Is that a good price for the mileage and what I've already stated?
I can't find anything in that price range and mileage within 100 miles of me besides this truck.

Sorry for the long intro! Just looking for some advise, and I thought why not try duramaxdiesels.com!

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Welcome. Great forum with good people.

Sounds high from your description is it a 4 wheel? Sounds like youve done your homework. I really love my lbz over the lly. Might spend you a little more money if you can. The 6 speed is awesome. I guess you know about lb7 and injectors. Good motor just a pain to swap out.

twl2u87

Oct 1, 2018
Indiana
Thanks guys!

Yes it is a 4x4. I should of stated that.
Everything I read and watch sound like that lbz is better than the lly. Did they take of the turbo mouth piece engineering in the lbz compared to the lly??

I'm in the 10k-13k range. I know that isn't much money and miles will be high, but trying to have a lower payment overall. With some room for mods :cool2:

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
Welcome and where at in northwest Indiana. I’m also in northwest Indiana, North Judson. Looks like u did ur research and looked at the important things. Good luck with ur search

twl2u87

Oct 1, 2018
Indiana
Thanks man! Awesome, know exactly where you're at. I'm in Hebron not to far from rt. 8.
If you know anyone personally selling a duramax let me know!