helium and beer pong

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
you may wonder whats going through my mind, well i have an inflatable beer pong table for use in a pool ect. i was wondering if i filled it with helium do you think it will float in air like a balloon. sorta like a hoover craft pong table. any thoughts. i just figured it would be real cool after a few games:confused:

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
depends on how heavy the table material is. sounds like a very slim possibility that the helium would over come the weight of the vinyl table. hwo ever if it did work it would add a new level of challenge to the game for sure lol

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
ran out of helium before i could try, but i don't think it would work. the table itself weighs about 3 lbs and would take alot of helium to fill it. after the first few games anyway it did not matter:D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Here's some intersting info on helium:

1. Determine the volume of the balloon.
The volume of a sphere is 4/3 * pi * r3, where r is the radius of the balloon. So first determine the radius of the sphere (the radius is half the diameter). Cube the radius (multiply it by itself twice: r*r*r), multiply by 4/3 and then multiply by Pi. If you are measuring your balloon in feet, that gives you the volume of the balloon in cubic feet.

2. One cubic foot of helium will lift about 28.2 grams, so multiply the volume of the balloon by 28.2.

3. Divide by 448 -- the number of grams in a pound -- to determine the number of pounds it can lift

Obviously, the table isn't a sphere, but if you can calculate the volume of helium it can take, you should be able to determine how much weight it will lift.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
6' x 3' x 5" = 7.5 cu. ft.

7.5 cu. ft. x 28.2 g/cu. ft = 211.5 g

211.5 g / 448 g/lb = .472 lb

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
so i need just under 1/2 lb of helium theoretically to make it float. okay i will work on this.

just to lift the weigth of the table, fctor in cups and beer, and it would be more. also balance is the biggest factor....

also it will try to turn sideways and float up. maybe tie 4 corners to the ground but then whats the point....

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
so i need just under 1/2 lb of helium theoretically to make it float. okay i will work on this.
What I calculated is how much weight that volume of helium will lift. You will need to figure out how much weight you are wanting to float and then calculate the volume of helium needed to achieve that.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
okay 1/2lb of dry weight is what the inside of the table will actually lift. so if the table weighs 3 lbs it will take 6x the amount of helium. :confused: i think i am reading right.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
just to lift the weigth of the table, fctor in cups and beer, and it would be more. also balance is the biggest factor....

also it will try to turn sideways and float up. maybe tie 4 corners to the ground but then whats the point....

after playing a few games there really is no point, but now it is more of a if it can be done i want to do it to shut some people up at work. you know the any thing you do they bring ya down people.:mad:

May 21, 2008
Stephenville Tx
after playing a few games there really is no point, but now it is more of a if it can be done i want to do it to shut some people up at work. you know the any thing you do they bring ya down people.:mad:

Work with one of thoes persons, complete ass! Anyways I want to see pics if you get this to work.