Heeellllp

Tots

Jul 3, 2017
I need some help bad. This may be long please bare with me on this. I have a 2008 GMC Sierra with the lmm, it's all stock besides a fabtec and 35s. It has just over 130k. Now before anyone says it do an well aware of the things I should do to it and the things that need taken off and put in the garbage I have a growing family so I have not got around to the "deletes". Anyway I went camping this last weekend in deep north Idaho. I have a 30 foot fifth wheel I tow for work and camping. It's bout 14k pounds. I've owned the truck for a year and I'm that year it's done the regen thing a handful of times. The check engine light pops on then says reduced power clean exhaust filter see owners manual. I go drive it around for a bit and that's the end of that. Well leaving camping it was bout 95 degrees out side We came down the other side of the mountain into st. Regis montana got fuel and hit the highway back to Spokane, we didn't make it far we made it to the famous silver dollar bar and the regen went on but also my transmission was a bit warm so we pulled off the road. Hung out for a bit then got back on the freeway. But it wouldn't go faster then 15mph floored. And this time the monitor said reduced power with check engine light that's it. So we limped it to a weigh station. I had my in laws who were behind us take my daughter me wife home with them I stayed back to figure the truck out. I sat there for an hour trying to see what my tow coverage was and found out it was worthless. Turned the truck back on just to see and it had engine light said reduced power and clean exhaust so I threw it in drive and made it bout 7 miles the clean exhaust went away and it just said reduced power and slowly decelerated my truck to about 15. Now my truck is on the side of I90. Sitting there it progressively got worse until it wouldn't even idle. It died. Smells weird to kind of hot but nothing I've smelt. No leaks anywhere. The whole day the truck drove normally pulled awesome. So I don't have a reader but will have one tomorrow. I just figure my exhaust it was plugged. I got a hitch home did research and figured my egr was the culprit. Drove out to my truck and took the egr off but not the cooler. Everything I read pointed towards the egr. It was nasty but not plugged. One port was getting nasty but still not plugged. The ports on the motor looked decent too. The butterfly valve in the egr that's down by where it connects to the intercooler pipe was in great shape but was open ?? Not sure if that's good ? So I cleaned everything the best I could and put it back together Started it no engine light or reduced power. and it ran for about 15 seconds then light came on and said reduced power and it died. So I guess the big question is what does everyone think? Won't know codes till tomorrow. It's not saying clean exhaust anymore either. I keep the maintenance spot on in this truck and only buy diesel at good gas stations not sure what to think could my dpf filter in the exhaust be that clogged? Early that day we were running the truck at idle with ac on while we filled up and I was in the store probably 20 minutes. I thought I read there was a valve where the egr is connected to the cooler is this correct? I read a valve somewhere sometimes sticks open or shut I thought it was the butterfly looking valve by the intercooler pipe ??? Any help would be huge Is there a way I can get this thing home? A delete kit will be a week out it can't sit there for much longer. At this point I can't even get my fifth wheel out from under it either. Again sorry for the long post.

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Sorry to hear about the troubles... That has all the signs of a bad sensor somewhere, or then you DPF just plain being clogged. Definitely get someone to put a good scanner on it to see what's what. If that's your issue, delete it, and keep on truckin'!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tots

Jul 3, 2017
Sorry to hear about the troubles... That has all the signs of a bad sensor somewhere, or then you DPF just plain being clogged. Definitely get someone to put a good scanner on it to see what's what. If that's your issue, delete it, and keep on truckin'!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks I guess sh** happens. I wasn't that mad since I knew I should have Liberated her awhile ago lol. I just didn't know the dpf could get that clogged but I'm also not a diesel tech I'm a YouTube mechanic lol. First duramax as well. I heard another guys story on a forum that was similar to mine and his code ended up being throttle position sensor. I really think it is the emissions stuff because it did say it was trying to clean the exhaust what are the odds that some sensor went at the same time it was trying to clean lol. Do you think the egr cooler could act like that??? The cooler seems like a job that's above my head specially being on the side of the road. Is there a valve in the egr cooler area I could have missed that's maybe hung open? I'll let you know when I get the codes.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Slide under the truck and split the exhaust. Just unbolt it at the flange up toward the front and wedge a pry bar or piece of wood or something you don't care about in there to create a decent gap and go for a ride. If truck runs and your power comes back the filter is plugged. Picture shows the flange.
729d924713e056c96bb52db0e94eb00e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I would also look I to cleaning out the get cooler. All the shit that gets in the get valve is pushed through the cooler first. At work we have to clean the coolers on the bigger Cummins engines all the time.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
But before just taking guesses I would definitely get a hold of a good code reader and see what's going on. It could be numerous things but now way to really tell till you pull the code history.

Tots

Jul 3, 2017
Slide under the truck and split the exhaust. Just unbolt it at the flange up toward the front and wedge a pry bar or piece of wood or something you don't care about in there to create a decent gap and go for a ride. If truck runs and your power comes back the filter is plugged. Picture shows the flange.
729d924713e056c96bb52db0e94eb00e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

So that would eventually put it in limp mode as well tho correct? I need a tuner to run it like that right? I just need to get it home or off the highway. I figured out I can get it towed to the nearest dealership by geico. Maybe I'll try that there as of now it's on the side of I90 and still have two passes to get over to come home with it.

Tots

Jul 3, 2017
Plugged dpf. Time to delete it unless you want to spend money on future potential problems...

Ya that's what I hope. The wife is already saying Buy The kit!!
However it seems weird it's that bad right? It won't even idle for more then 10-15 seconds then dies followed by a weird smell a hot smell.

Tots

Jul 3, 2017
But before just taking guesses I would definitely get a hold of a good code reader and see what's going on. It could be numerous things but now way to really tell till you pull the code history.

Ya I'm running up to put a reader on it today or have it towed to nearest town with a reader. Will it show up as egr or dpf specific stuff in codes? Is there specific codes related to emissions and my exhaust I should look for?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
So that would eventually put it in limp mode as well tho correct? I need a tuner to run it like that right? I just need to get it home or off the highway. I figured out I can get it towed to the nearest dealership by geico. Maybe I'll try that there as of now it's on the side of I90 and still have two passes to get over to come home with it.

It would put it in limp mode but if that's the culprit you'd know and could at least get it off the highway

Tots

Jul 3, 2017
It would put it in limp mode but if that's the culprit you'd know and could at least get it off the highway

Very true. Thank you a ton. Unfortunately I didn't make it up to the truck today. Geico is taking truck and fifth wheel to the next town which is 40 miles and a large pass closer. They have code readers there but it's the 4th no one is open. so I hope tomorrow after work I'll be reading codes on it.

Tots

Jul 3, 2017
Ok so finally got a reader put on the truck. Works been crazy but trucks in a place where it will be ok. So the truck is dead and has been the first day it put me on the side of the road last Sunday I left the hazards on. So today had a guy hook up Some cables while I tried to read codes. There was about 15 codes and a lot were a single code multiple times so really there was only 5 or 6. I had the batteries unhooked multiple times, I had the egr off and a few components related to that unplugged so some of the codes were because of that. There was a few codes saying the dpf pressure was too high and another code saying the soot level was too high, low boost code as well these had multiple codes. so obviously the dpf is plugged to hell I already know the egr is in good clean order. I cleared the codes then turned the key back to accessory position and it already was saying clean exhaust with the engine light back on. There was three codes again p02e8 intake air flow position sensor circuit low, c0550 Ecu performance, u0140 lost communication with body control module (bcm) these were also codes that showed up before I cleared them. I'm thinking some hav to do with the batteries being dead for so long and I had things unplugged? Since the batteries are dead I could t get it to start The guy helping me had to leave and my wife's little Mazda won't even begin to charge my truck. So if I got it to start I'm sure that's when the dpf related codes would come back But like I previously said the truck is so plugged it will crank for 10 seconds and idle roughly for maybe 15 before it dies. So now I can't even get my truck to recharge its own batteries lol. I tried taking out the dpf with the right tools and some wd40 but only began to strip the bolts on the flanges because they are so exhaust corroded. So what does everyone think of the codes??

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
My dads LMM left him stranded one time because it wouldnt regen while towing his fifth wheel. Turned out he had a bad battery causing low voltage.

Tots

Jul 3, 2017
Find someone with a PPE programmer or EFI live and try a forced regen.

Ya but to do that don't I need it to be vin locked to my truck? There's a guy who lives close to me who will hook up to my truck and delete the dpf and load a 60hp tune in for 300 bucks I just don't know if I want some guy doing efi live on my rig. Plus It was 90 out and I was towing down the highway at 65 when it decided to plug wouldn't regen at that speed have worked? As of now it won't even idle for long before it chokes.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Deletes aren't just as simple as a tune. You need to have the correct hard parts installed to delete the truck properly. I wouldn't just have anyone do efi on my truck either. Find out who's tunes he uses. If you're serious about tunes then you may contact a vendor here and talk to them about it. I think there's a few autocal on here for sale too. It sounds to me like it's clogged. Your choices are buy a new dpf and run it like it is, or deletes. But keep in mind deletes are not legal in any state. IF you decide to do them. Then you run the risk of a failed inspection heck maybe even fines and other troubles.

Tots

Jul 3, 2017
I just want to know what everyone thinks of the current codes p02e8, intake air flow sensor circuit low, c0550 ecu performance, u0140 lost communication with bcm. That's what showed after I cleared the original codes which were these and dpf high pressure, too much soot and low boost. I'm paraphrasing those I didn't write them down but they were all basically saying dpf is plugged lol. But since the truck wasn't charged enough to start and bog down till it died those codes didn't pop back up. At this point in time I can't even idle it to recharge batteries. I think that means the dpf is beyond regenning itself if it won't even idle. I am planning on buying exhaust and a tuner. I just want to know if everyone thinks the current codes should worry me like it might be something else?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Ya but to do that don't I need it to be vin locked to my truck? There's a guy who lives close to me who will hook up to my truck and delete the dpf and load a 60hp tune in for 300 bucks I just don't know if I want some guy doing efi live on my rig. Plus It was 90 out and I was towing down the highway at 65 when it decided to plug wouldn't regen at that speed have worked? As of now it won't even idle for long before it chokes.

I would NOT trust someone willing to do it for $300.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tots

Jul 3, 2017
Deletes aren't just as simple as a tune. You need to have the correct hard parts installed to delete the truck properly. I wouldn't just have anyone do efi on my truck either. Find out who's tunes he uses. If you're serious about tunes then you may contact a vendor here and talk to them about it. I think there's a few autocal on here for sale too. It sounds to me like it's clogged. Your choices are buy a new dpf and run it like it is, or deletes. But keep in mind deletes are not legal in any state. IF you decide to do them. Then you run the risk of a failed inspection heck maybe even fines and other troubles.

Yes no doubt that's why the guy I found worries me it's hard to trust someone who is basically remapping your truck. And there is no way I'm putting a problematic part back in my truck. I'm doing the delete I just don't want it to be a different issue based on the codes it's currently reading. Good thing is I live in Washington and after a certain year diesels don't need emissions testing. So long as I don't get pulled over by an ass hole cop no one cares around here.