LMM: Headers & up pipes

Pwinland95

Jan 24, 2015
Illinois
Well guys my tranny is gonna be getting pulled shortly. Is it worth doing headers and up pipes while its out? I know it makes everything easier to reach but is it worth the money? I have a Danville 68mm stg2r but I'm not looking for huge hp levels as I am on stock fuel with a fass 150.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
IMHO no. on stock fuel you are already over 600hp on that charger without getting crazy.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Manis and ups do help if your looking to get every scrap of power out of your combo, but for what you're after, those and/or headers are overkill.

hipp11B

Apr 1, 2015
Georgia
I'd doubt you would see HP gain but it won't hurt and they definitely sound better

Lbz, built trans, efi by Danville, Danville 68, full egr delete, mbrp down pipe, 5" mbrp to 7" stack, ppe guages, custom traction bars, airdog2 165, ppe fuel rail mods, s&b, afe blade runner, Arp head studs..died March 2015

Parts collected for the build. SoCal super damper, SoCal billet flex plate, SDP S400 kit, II 85% CP3, PPE manifolds/up pipes, PCV reroute. Slowly but surely lol

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Im running the same turbo with ppe manifolds and up-pipes and im still on stock fuel on my Lly. But with a 1/2 inch line straight to the cp3 from my fass. (Not sure how much that helps) my egt's peak at like 1200 degrees wot according to my cts probe and monitor. Before the turbo and manifolds it woukd easily go to 1600-1800. Im not sure if it was just the turbo that brought my egt's down or the manifolds and up pipes. But i agree the money could be used better for something like studs. But yes it is a lot easier to do the up pipes now with trans out in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Definitely helped me out, like Cbowles said my EGT's are way cooler but I'm not on stock fuel either. For you at this point studs would be a great decision, but its up to you.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
The stg2r lowers egts in my experience. I'm on stock up-pipes and even a stock ybridge (two straps or it'll blow out,lol) and I'm past 600hp on stock fuel system with larger tips only. Egts are great.

Pwinland95

Jan 24, 2015
Illinois
I have an lml driver side manifold but haven't put it on yet.. And also running hsp's y bridge. Just couldn't justify the extra money for headers and up pipes unless it's a significant difference. Also, I didn't realize that studs needed to be done on the lmm's but that is good to know.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
My understanding is, that the LMMs have pretty good HGs and bolts factory. Better than LLY/LB7 trucks. I don't plan on replacing mine with studs until I know the HGs are blown.

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Mine still has factory head studs. To me it was worth doing the manifolds/up pipes and all the charge air pipes. Fill out your signature and help us all out.

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Yea man this forum has a ton of info and knowledgable people. A lot of which has been covered so the search function will get you pretty far too.

Pwinland95

Jan 24, 2015
Illinois
I suppose if I come across a decent deal on a set I may go ahead and pull the trigger on them. We will see what happens, hoping to pull the tranny sometime this month and go from there. Really excited about trying the limitless converter with my stg2r