LLY: Head studs, gasket?

mikesiena268

Jan 23, 2012
Alright so it seems that I blew a head gasket, befor I get it replaced would it be worth it to order stronger head bolts? And is there stronger gaskets or what do you guys recommend to be done while the motors opened up? What else is going to be a problem in the near future? The trucks got basically 90k miles! Any suggestions on what bolts to buy? Or gaskets or any other things I should replace while they are at it? Thanks!

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
What are future plans for the truck? If you never put a bigger turbo on, just run new factory headbolts, save the $600 for egr delete and other minor modifications.

mikesiena268

Jan 23, 2012
Well prolly never gonna do a turbo or anything but it does have a hypertec tuner, and intake and exhaust and I dont wanna blow another head gasket, I just replaced the egr because it needed and inspection and was throwing those codes, so they just replaced it, mostly the truck will stay the way it is, we tow a 4place snowmobile trailer and a 14 foot dump trailer and a few others and plow with tge truck so nothin more really, just wanna make sure the trucks gonna be in shape so we dont have to dont have to do this 2 times

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
They changed the design of the gaskets and the new ones are better. Do not reuse the old head bolts- ARP studs or new head bolts.

mikesiena268

Jan 23, 2012
Id juat rather have it right the first time, moneys not really the issue! But thanks for the look out, and help fellas, but theres nothing else I should look into replacing while its apart right? Glow plugs or whatnot?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Glow plugs should be fine but you can check the resistance while your at it. A head gasket kit should come with new injector orings and washers, as well as other odds and ends gaskets for the intake and water manifold. Might be easier to do the LLY harness upgrade that Merchant Auto sells or just do the Icepick trick while its apart, as well as doing cp3 regulator upgrade (to an LBZ) if desired. There are a host of things that are a ton easier while its tore down to the shortblock, just depends on how much $$$ you have to throw around.