Head Gaskets

CDIETER

Aug 17, 2017
Well I posted a few months ago. Im still stuck in Iraq. But my buddy looked at my truck for me and says I in fact need head gaskets. What's the best price, brand etc? What else would you do while we have everything torn apart? PCV Reroute, check injectors, check heads for cracks, use arp studs etc... thanks guys

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I always have the heads pressure tested and the valves redone. Talked to a few people and if the head gasket just deteriorated they just changed gaskets and throw the heads back on. I usually buy things from LDS or DHD.

CDIETER

Aug 17, 2017
Brent thanks for the heads up. I get back to the states in 6 weeks. Ill get a few good looks at her and make a plan. I hope to get it all tore apart asap and figure out what I need. The truck already has a EGR delete, PCV reroute and had a new water pump installed last year. Ill replace the thermostats and of course all the gaskets. As well as check the heads and injectors. How important is the glow plug replacement? The truck only has 110,000 miles.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Studs and yes to the glow plugs that have been in the heads for 12 years , now is best if you would have problems getting them out ! Good luck and thanks for serving !!!

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Brent thanks for the heads up. I get back to the states in 6 weeks. Ill get a few good looks at her and make a plan. I hope to get it all tore apart asap and figure out what I need. The truck already has a EGR delete, PCV reroute and had a new water pump installed last year. Ill replace the thermostats and of course all the gaskets. As well as check the heads and injectors. How important is the glow plug replacement? The truck only has 110,000 miles.

Sometimes the heads of the glow plugs break off or if one strips out, while the heads are off you don't have to worry about pieces of the gp dropping into the cylinder should they decide to fight

I did my gp's at around 98k, had one bad one replaced all 8, my truck is pretty rust free, but I had a couple that I was puckering doing, one came out very hard even while doing warm with all of the PB blaster, the drivers rear to be exact

CDIETER

Aug 17, 2017
Well $1498 later Ive got the gasket set on the way from LDS, as well as a lift pump. Ill order Glow Plugs for sure as well. Thanks for all the advice guys. Ive got a friend of mine who has a two post lift that he is willing to let me use. Would it be worth the extra work to pull the cab?

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Well $1498 later Ive got the gasket set on the way from LDS, as well as a lift pump. Ill order Glow Plugs for sure as well. Thanks for all the advice guys. Ive got a friend of mine who has a two post lift that he is willing to let me use. Would it be worth the extra work to pull the cab?

Yes sir.

CDIETER

Aug 17, 2017
Hey guys got an update. Ended up leaving the motor and cab in place. Pulled the heads in about 6 hrs. Now for the bad, I had the injectors tested and cleaned and was told they failed overall. They passed 8 of 9 tests they said but failed the normal load / 1700 rpm range test. I was promptly asked if I wanted to order injectors from them which I said I will have to look into what to do next. I purchased a new CP3 just in case as well as all the gaskets and the FASS system so I have already spent over what I planned. At this point though im just ready to get it back on the road. Suggestions on buying reman injectors?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Hey guys got an update. Ended up leaving the motor and cab in place. Pulled the heads in about 6 hrs. Now for the bad, I had the injectors tested and cleaned and was told they failed overall. They passed 8 of 9 tests they said but failed the normal load / 1700 rpm range test. I was promptly asked if I wanted to order injectors from them which I said I will have to look into what to do next. I purchased a new CP3 just in case as well as all the gaskets and the FASS system so I have already spent over what I planned. At this point though im just ready to get it back on the road. Suggestions on buying reman injectors?

Buy from LDS and only LDS

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin

We have Brand New Bosch Injectors here at LDS at great prices! Let me know if i can help.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I think He was looking more on if its a good idea or a bad idea to get reman injectors.

To that I would say it's ok if they are done right. However, if there not, You will spend more than what a set of new injectors cost replacing them a second time around and that is assuming you don't do other damage.