LLY: Head Gasket Replacement.. What else to do while its apart?

Diesel_Addiction

Dec 11, 2013
New York
You can use cat filters on a FASS 150 titanium. Awesome lift pump :thumb:

Was thinking of going that route in the future. I see FASS came out with a fuel heater... I see that being bennificial to winter driving in this New England climate. Ive gelled my Airdog on my dodge with a LOT of Powerservice in it. The filters hanging exposed like that with a combination of wind, and near 0 or - degree temps takes its toll. Still would like to come up with a system to bypass the pump in case of failure. Possibly a length of hose and a couple three way dump valves? On the GM trucks does an Airdog/Fass installation include plumping new hose from the pressure side to the CP3 and bypass the factory fuel filter? Or does it tap into the existing lines?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
The FASS is in itself a bypass type pump, so if it fails, fuel still flows through. It does not come with provisions to delete the stock filter, that is extra.

Yes, the additional heat is a very good idea up here. But wind has nothing to do with gelling...

Diesel_Addiction

Dec 11, 2013
New York
The FASS is in itself a bypass type pump, so if it fails, fuel still flows through. It does not come with provisions to delete the stock filter, that is extra.

Yes, the additional heat is a very good idea up here. But wind has nothing to do with gelling...

Thanks, will be taking that route once the time comes that I need more fuel.

Diesel_Addiction

Dec 11, 2013
New York
Bump...

Getting ready go buy the rest of the parts online today...

Parts List:

Head Gaskets GM: PN 12637758, 12637788 $52 Gm parts direct
Top End Gasket Kit Victor Reinz (Mahle): PN HS54580A $200 Rock Auto
LML Manifold GM: PN 12637647 $61 Gm parts direct
ARP 230-4201: $517 Ebay
Pro-Fab EGR Delete: $209
Bosch Water Pump: $45 Rock Auto
Edge Expandable Probe: $130 XDP
Glow Plugs: ??
Rad. Hoses: local auto parts store
PCV Re-Route: local auto parts store
Fuel Rail Shim kit: $9 PPE

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Check out Creatures of the Night performance. Henry has a nice top end head gasket kit for a decent price and is guaranteed to be complete.

Diesel_Addiction

Dec 11, 2013
New York
Yeah, I noticed his kit. I would like to go as directly to the source of the parts as I can. The more hands that touch them the more the price goes up.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
he works for GM if im not mistaken, so his kit would be all GM parts and guaranteed to be complete with everything you would need, just giving you another option out there

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Bump...

Getting ready go buy the rest of the parts online today...

Parts List:

Head Gaskets GM: PN 12637758, 12637788 $52 Gm parts direct
Top End Gasket Kit Victor Reinz (Mahle): PN HS54580 $200 Rock Auto
LML Manifold GM: PN 12637647 $61 Gm parts direct
ARP 230-4201: $517 Ebay
Pro-Fab EGR Delete: $209
Bosch Water Pump: $45 Rock Auto
Edge Expandable Probe: $130 XDP
Glow Plugs: ??
Rad. Hoses: local auto parts store
PCV Re-Route: local auto parts store
Fuel Rail Shim kit: $9 PPE

Check out Creatures of the Night performance. Henry has a nice top end head gasket kit for a decent price and is guaranteed to be complete.

My kit with arp studs and gasket kit is 30 higher then his prices above so he's splitting his order up to 3 places there. I could save the difference from that on his glow plugs and also adjust my price that was off after Rick lowered cost on Egr delete. And save him from ordering from over 5 to only 2 places but each his own.

Make sure when ordering the top end kit the part number is HS54580A not HS54580.

Diesel_Addiction

Dec 11, 2013
New York
My kit with arp studs and gasket kit is 30 higher then his prices above so he's splitting his order up to 3 places there. I could save the difference from that on his glow plugs and also adjust my price that was off after Rick lowered cost on Egr delete. And save him from ordering from over 5 to only 2 places but each his own.

Make sure when ordering the top end kit the part number is HS54580A not HS54580.

Thank you for all of your insite, and quotes on the parts for the job.. I appreciate it and hope to do business with you in the future. I don't really mind that the parts are coming from a few different suppliers as I am not in that much of a crunch for time and shipping didn't inflate the prices to bad. If I was in a crunch for time and needed the truck back together ASAP I see a definite value in getting all the parts from one source..

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Thank you for all of your insite, and quotes on the parts for the job.. I appreciate it and hope to do business with you in the future. I don't really mind that the parts are coming from a few different suppliers as I am not in that much of a crunch for time and shipping didn't inflate the prices to bad. If I was in a crunch for time and needed the truck back together ASAP I see a definite value in getting all the parts from one source..

That's fine other parts in the order brings the total down on all parts at the end. Rock auto and GM parts direct and eBay does not help after the sell.

Diesel_Addiction

Dec 11, 2013
New York
That's fine other parts in the order brings the total down on all parts at the end. Rock auto and GM parts direct and eBay does not help after the sell.

Another noteworthy point!

In my particular situation I am fortunate... My friend has a shop, Tony from Ridge Runner is 20mins away... Can't wait to get this truck fixed, so I can get it tuned!

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Another noteworthy point!

In my particular situation I am fortunate... My friend has a shop, Tony from Ridge Runner is 20mins away... Can't wait to get this truck fixed, so I can get it tuned!

I'm Tonys parts guy were vendors on Df together under Cotnp. I'm one of his resellers for Efi live.