LB7: head gasket info

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
just got some head gaskets today and they are the all black gaskets like gm's originals, these are gm gaskets. did they switch back recently? the gaskets this motor had only had sealer in some places instead of the entire gasket being covered in it. just curious.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Was it studded? Or stock bolts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
just got some head gaskets today and they are the all black gaskets like gm's originals, these are gm gaskets. did they switch back recently? the gaskets this motor had only had sealer in some places instead of the entire gasket being covered in it. just curious.

That's the new LML gaskets the all black original gm OEM is now mahle that you got.

duramaxsilvy

Sep 21, 2012
im doing my head gaskets now. right head, grade C with gm bolts, leaked cyl 7. (previous owner must have done a head job previously before 75k when i bought it) left head, grade b, leak cyl 2.

replaced with grace C, and ARP studs. got the kit from merchant.
and my left head (which had original B gasket) had no yellow on it.

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
So which gaskets do you want to use now. The gaskets i have are all black and are riveted together. They are from engine tech. The machine shop that did my head work was supposed to just give me a price but they went ahead and ordered them and someone else went and picked everything up for me since i was at the hospital with my wife having a baby.

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
Well still trying to figure out weather or not im going to use them. But yes i do believe they are grade B. Like i said this is what the machine shop that did all my head work for me ordered without really talking to me about it. Told him to get me a price and when he never called back i said the hell with it and was just going to order from COTN. One of my friends went and picked up the heads for me and they gave him the gasket set also. So im trying to figure out if im just going to say the hell with it and use them or try to get my money back and order new ones.

BTW how can you tell from the pic what they are would like to figure out what was in it.

duramaxsilvy

Sep 21, 2012
Well still trying to figure out weather or not im going to use them. But yes i do believe they are grade B. Like i said this is what the machine shop that did all my head work for me ordered without really talking to me about it. Told him to get me a price and when he never called back i said the hell with it and was just going to order from COTN. One of my friends went and picked up the heads for me and they gave him the gasket set also. So im trying to figure out if im just going to say the hell with it and use them or try to get my money back and order new ones.

BTW how can you tell from the pic what they are would like to figure out what was in it.

hole location in the long slot.
there are 2 slots. the short slot designates left head or right head. the long slot designates the grade. if the hole is farthest away from the small slot, its grade A, middle its grade B, closest its grade C.