hd tie rods vs sleeves?

mhauser

Jan 6, 2015
Need help choosing don't know witch on to go with has anyone had better luck with either one of them is it worth the money to go ahead and get the whole tie rod?

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
I have rare parts tie rods and believe that where we'll worth the cost over sleeves. Both joints are way bigger and stronger that stock. You won't be disappointed if you go that route.:thumb:

mreeves23

Big Hog Customs, LLC
Sep 15, 2011
Poseyville, IN
I use Rare parts G2 tie rods 20 to 1 over sleeves alone in the shop. I also feel it's a good choice to go with the full tie rods. If you have brand new stock tie rods, you could throw sleeves on but if you have some miles on them, I would vote just go for HD tie rods.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I use Rare parts G2 tie rods 20 to 1 over sleeves alone in the shop. I also feel it's a good choice to go with the full tie rods. If you have brand new stock tie rods, you could throw sleeves on but if you have some miles on them, I would vote just go for HD tie rods.

I vote rare parts too

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
I just installed rare parts tie rods very impressed the stock ones look minuscule compare to them!

messejme

Jazzy, Me and Max
Mar 7, 2008
Branchburg NJ
Thinking out loud here but the sleeves do not have a limited lifetime they can be used again and again after replacing the tie rods. The ball joint on the tie rods DO have a limited lifespan after which they go to o the scrap heap. Just my 2¢.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I've seen a 8600 lb truck run 10's with sleeves and straight centerlink.

Sleeves are the best bang for your buck imo.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Thinking out loud here but the sleeves do not have a limited lifetime they can be used again and again after replacing the tie rods. The ball joint on the tie rods DO have a limited lifespan after which they go to o the scrap heap. Just my 2¢.

Rare parts tie rods are rebuildable

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
If you have the $$$ for hd rods I'd just go that route. Even using sleeves (new or old tie rods) there is still the possibility to bend or break them. No risk of that happening at all with the g2's, and if you break them, doesn't matter how, warrantee covers them. Can't beat that:thumb:

SBLC

Here to Learn
Jun 12, 2008
Utah
If you have the $$$ for hd rods I'd just go that route. Even using sleeves (new or old tie rods) there is still the possibility to bend or break them. No risk of that happening at all with the g2's, and if you break them, doesn't matter how, warrantee covers them. Can't beat that:thumb:

Heavy duty tie rods have their weak points just like any other manufactured part on this earth, and there is a possibility to bend or beak aftermarket tie rods. The word warranty gives me nice warm and fuzzy-es on purchase day, but on the claim day the warrantee vanishes or is reluctant (some businesses/people are the exception). Some products require you to retain original receipt along with the original box the product came in to claim warranty; making the warranty process so convoluted that no one will claim warranty. Do your homework, don't buy on catch phrases: beefy, stout, laser honed, superior components, bulletproof, AMSOIL lube, or synthetic technology which are all feel good phrases and dont have any quantitative basis. Depending on the application, it will dictate if you do aftermarket tie rods or if you do sleeves. A daily driver road queen wouldn't need aftermarket tie rods, in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

howard8448

L33T
Mar 21, 2015
Oceanside, CA
I asked the same question. And still no one has been able to answer it either. Why are sleeves better vs HD tie rods? Money is money but what part is stronger/better/last longer.... What have you had the experience with and what have you seen fail.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Sleeves aren't necessarily better, they are just cheaper and when your tie rod end wears out you can replace it for cheap from any auto parts store.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Sleeves aren't necessarily better, they are just cheaper and when your tie rod end wears out you can replace it for cheap from any auto parts store.

I have noticed that some part store tie rods are just a hair bigger then stock. Then sleeves don't fit.