Hanging short block on motor stand question.

Rudely

Jun 21, 2011
NC
This is probably a stupid question, but the thought was planted in my head by my son after installing the back motor plate on my slowwwwwwwwwwwwww going lb7 rebuild.

Is it ok to hang the motor on a motor stand using the plate itself, using the transmission bolt holes with hardened bolts?

My boy seems to think it isn't, says it isn't strong enough to support the weight of the motor when finished.

If I do it, and it fails......................................I will NEVER hear the end of it.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Not to mention what it would damage.

Thanks to everyone for prompt shipping of the block, heads, seals/gaskets, injectors.......etc.:thumb:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I have seen a fully dressed engine bolted that way. I would never do it though. Plenty of people will tell you its a very bad idea.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Those bolt holes are inserts I would not and Gm tells you not to. Some have done it and used support. Tom used the back and posted pics of the holes to use on the back of the plate that will work.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I had my fully dressed motor bolted through the rear cover on the stand same way as Tom had it with no issues. It sat that way for a while.

On edit: I'm not saying it's the right thing to do and you should do it. I'm just saying I did and it sat unsupported that way for a while.

Last edited:

Rudely

Jun 21, 2011
NC
Thanks guys! Lucas and I had discussed "borrowing" 4 of the bolt holes securing the plate to the motor, just weren't sure which four or sure if we should even do it.
Going to find Toms pic............thanks again!

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I had my fully dressed motor bolted through the rear cover on the stand same way as Tom had it with no issues. It sat that way for a while.

On edit: I'm not saying it's the right thing to do and you should do it. I'm just saying I did and it sat unsupported that way for a while.

Toms way is fine.

Rudely

Jun 21, 2011
NC
Thanks Henry:thumb: for posting the thread! Thanks for the replies from everyone else too!:thumb:

Time to head to the hardware store!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Its good to hear you're still working at rebuilding that motor. Sure wish you lived much closer, we could have busted that thing out pretty quick.
Hope your health issues are subsiding, too. :)

Rudely

Jun 21, 2011
NC
Its good to hear you're still working at rebuilding that motor. Sure wish you lived much closer, we could have busted that thing out pretty quick.
Hope your health issues are subsiding, too. :)

Hey Tom! Yes, still plugging away at finishing it, got the plates and pan on it today. Going to put the heads on tomorrow then maybe take a short break. I get really bad headaches after a couple days in the garage, damn tumors have really taken their toll on this old guy!:mad::mad::mad: I am amazed how much they affected my tolerance to heat/cold/balance. The plus side is, none have been malignant. Yes, it would be nice if we lived closer, sure would have loved the help........not to mention good company.

X2. Thats how mine was minus accessorys on the front.

Thanks, I will wait until I sit the motor in to install the accessories. That will be a nice job for the kid!