Gtx 4202

SmithLBZ

Jan 11, 2012
TN
Pros/Cons of the garrett gtx 4202.
Going to be on a stock motor, built transmission, and soon to have 100 overs, then built motor later on.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Pros? Its a totally baaaaadddd aaaaasssss water and oil cooled ball bearing gtx wheeled garrett charger, it should get you to 800 whp
cons? If you tow with efi live, and you like the turbine brake you will loose it. Its expensive. 100 overs will push that turbo really well, but the tune to keep the stock block in tact probably wont, so you will be creating a"build this motor" itch..... have fun!

Jason

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
If you plan on sticking with a single after you blow your stock motor up than by all means get this one! With good tuning this turbo has enough air to get you in the 10's and is very streetable. Plus it sounds bad ass and should be very reliable. Get a tight exhaust housing and add a wastegate... Then you can throw nitrous int there too

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
The GTX is a very good charger but expensive , and i know a few people who have had failures , but for the most part they have done good . IMOP it is border line whether there worth the money though , just my 2 cents . We have recently became a dealer for a new brand of turbo and will be starting testing on them with in a few weeks , they have a model that should be very comparable to the GTX ( billet wheel , ceramic ball bearing , ect ) but cost will be about 1k less ( 2k ) and there are a lot of variations to choose from in turbine and comp sizing ( 67-80 mm comp ) for the same cost !! Well post about them once testing begins .

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Flow charts can be over rated, just cuz a turbo flows more doesn't necessarily make it better. JMHO!

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Flow charts can be over rated, just cuz a turbo flows more doesn't necessarily make it better. JMHO!

First off there are no maps available for precision chargers , so there cant be "on paper" comparisons , only real world tests of both chargers.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Oh
Well im not baggin on precision by any means, they make a fantastic product! I am just a garrett fan, i like the way the garrett's sound and feel, I've planted my butt in seats powered by many different chargers, i always will point the garrett out as my favorite? Go figure.

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
we tested several similar chargers in one day, same truck same dyno and the precision made the most power by far.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
This topic reminds me of the pros and cons of differant types of cams, some cams produce tons of power, but where and how?
How driveable is the precision turbo?

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
It was as drivable as a standard 42, batmo 75, etc. it made around 50+ hp in lower rpm ranges and over 100 at 3800+

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
This topic reminds me of the pros and cons of differant types of cams, some cams produce tons of power, but where and how?
How driveable is the precision turbo?

You do know that the GTX wheel design ( or any 10-11 blade comp wheel ) is a high pressure design right ? From the mapping it flows no more air down low than the cast wheel does , it just excels in the higher pressure ranges but flows no more down low ( maybe even less ) , I believe the precision runs a 6 blade wheel which would provide way more air in the lower PR's / RPM's which equates to better drivability , the turbo I mentioned earlier runs a 7 blade billet wheel design which there claiming is capable of running big air in the high PR's and still provide good airflow in the lower PR's , our S371 runs a 7 blade billet wheel also and it seems to hold true to there claims .