LB7: Got the surge!

Mike92

Sep 23, 2015
VA
So, this was my last resort... But I gotta figure this out.

Got an '03 2500 with about 180k on it, nothing aftermarket performance-wise.

This is my first diesel, and I'm still soaking in the information so here we go..

I recently started getting a surge when I'm slowing down. Been at 50+mph, slow down to a light, and as I stop the engine surges. The whole truck doesn't surge, or shake or anything. The engine just sounds like it's about to stall, then at the last second catches itself, then does it again and again until it finally gets back on time.

Had a buddy take a look at it, he thinks it's the injectors because even in park, the truck still runs the revs a little, then idles normal, repeatedly. We got a scanner on it, but it wasn't one of the big money ones so all we could get from it was that my MAP sensor is bad.

Now, assuming that it is, in fact, the injectors and I go change them with say some 15% over injectors, from what I understand that means I need to use different injector inlet lines, and the ones I saw on XDP require you to run different fuel lines.

With all of that being said -
Part of me thinks it might be the Torque Converter, based off of things I've read here on the forum... thoughts?
If I run 15% injectors, does that warrant the necessity of a lift pump? I understand that lift pumps are needed for certain things, but I can't figure out if it's really necessary for 15%.
Would you all agree that the issue is the injectors?

I ordered the new MAP sensor, figured I'd start there.

Any thoughts/opinions/ideas would be awesome.
Thanks in advance.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
I wouldn't waste your time with 15% overs,go with set of 45,s to have room to grow. and a lift pump is a good idea for all duramax trucks from stock to modified.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Get a good scanner on it, and check rail pressure. Fuel pressure regulators commonly cause this issue. Catch is though, many times the cp3 is not far behind it. Test, din't throw parts at it. And unless you plan on going big, go back with a set of stock injectors, and do not cheap out and do just nozzles. To many have made this mistake. Also only use quality injectors, not ebay new nozzles only garbage.

Mike92

Sep 23, 2015
VA
The truck is my tow rig, so I wasn't gonna go crazy with the injectors. Figured 15 would give me a little more umph. But then again, 15 isn't all that much. I know jeeps, haha, the diesel game is all new to me. But thanks for quick responses! I'll try and find someone local who can run a scanner on it for me.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Sounds like a sticky fpr. Need a scanner to tell us some vitals. Any smoke or haze?

Run a tank with additive like diesel kleen and see if it gets better.

You had codes?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mike92

Sep 23, 2015
VA
Sounds like a sticky fpr. Need a scanner to tell us some vitals. Any smoke or haze?

Run a tank with additive like diesel kleen and see if it gets better.

You had codes?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Sorry forgot to mention that...
No codes popped at all.
No smoke or haze, the thing barely "rolls coal" unless I've been in cruise control at 70mph for an hour and get on it. Not something I do regularly.

And I did run diesel kleen and it seemed to smooth things out. Changed the fuel filter which didn't make much of a difference, if any.

I just bought the truck in Feb, and am not 100% when the P.O. Changed stuff, so I replaced all the fluids and filters.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Imho, I would keep the HP down under 450 for a truck you're using as a workhorse, and even at that your trans will need some lovin to live any sort of life. For that kind of power, stock injectors will supply it just fine. I run stock injectors in my BURB with a reasoneable pulsewidth, and I'm sure I'm putting out close to 400 or more at the wheels.

GeorgiaDieselGTO

Wants to drive his truck
May 12, 2010
Crossville
Definately fpr. Need scan tool capable of commanding rail pressure. Command full pressure, if it builds full pressure I would just change the regulator. If it builds even slightly less I would change the pump which will include a new fpr

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
I assume EFI Live is capable of commanding full rail pressure, but I honestly have no clue how to do it. Is it something that can be easily explained here?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I assume EFI Live is capable of commanding full rail pressure, but I honestly have no clue how to do it. Is it something that can be easily explained here?
You have to use the V7.5 software. Go into the Scan program, and connect to the ECU. On the "DVT" tab, you can override rail pressure and all that.