Got a new truck (built trans, s366) and have some questions

muddychevy88

Mar 15, 2016
I am bringing home my new (kind of lol) lbz tomorrow. Big Dipper trans, S366, fass150, 40% injectors and stock pump. EFI by ridgerunner.

I do realize the power potential here, so I am absolutely worried about cracking a piston. It also does not have head studs. I may have this thing retuned at a lower power level until I can grab up a spare block or short block to build for this. I am probably going to put the truck on the dyno and figure out exactly what it's putting to the ground before I do anything, but my real question is if this thing is making over 600whp, what would be a safer point for it? I can't afford to crack a piston or blow a head gasket at the moment, so it probably isn't going to spend any time on the big tune.

Also, other then Mahle, what's a good piston/rod combo for up to 800hp?

Thanks in advance.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
:eek:hgeez: these topics have been discussed at length :bdh: dig in and read through the archives...

I've lost 2 LBZ engines pushing your power level, one to a piston, one to a crank...both GM engines..."LBZ's are luck of the draw"

BTW- You don't "need" head studs...

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Your right foot will determine how long it lasts. That or luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Low366Dmax

Pin it to win it
Aug 23, 2013
NH
Had pretty much same set up but more fuel and nitrous and I stayed together for 45k miles around 700-750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
It's all in how heavy your right foot is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I am bringing home my new (kind of lol) lbz tomorrow. Big Dipper trans, S366, fass150, 40% injectors and stock pump. EFI by ridgerunner.

I do realize the power potential here, so I am absolutely worried about cracking a piston. It also does not have head studs. I may have this thing retuned at a lower power level until I can grab up a spare block or short block to build for this. I am probably going to put the truck on the dyno and figure out exactly what it's putting to the ground before I do anything, but my real question is if this thing is making over 600whp, what would be a safer point for it? I can't afford to crack a piston or blow a head gasket at the moment, so it probably isn't going to spend any time on the big tune.

Also, other then Mahle, what's a good piston/rod combo for up to 800hp?

Thanks in advance.
What are you looking to do with the truck?

X2 to Finger's pistons and Carrillos.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Watch your pulse you use and I would run delipped lb7/lly pistons with Carrillo rods. Unless you want to pony up for fingers pistons as well.

800 is about max I'd run on stock delipped lb7/lly stuff and I suggest guys run more air than fuel to achieve that hp goal while keeping pulse width lower if possible. The pistons are happier that way.