Got a 3 phase electrical question

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So I've got a 5 hp 3 phase compressor sitting at our shop that I have acquired. It's and old "slow pumper" and the plan is to bring it home and use at my house.

Here's the issue. Obviously I have no 3 phase power in a sub division. So I can buy a new motor that's a single phase 5hp or run a rotary phase converter. So far a rotary phase converter seems to be the cheaper route but I'm unsure of what size idler motor Id need to run my compressor correctly. Not planning on adding any more 3 phase at this house, not enough room for more shop toys lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobxr50

Been around
Mar 3, 2008
mn
I have install single phase to three phase systems at my work for sewer lift stations that are remote areas no 3 phase power.
This is what I have found out in my experience...
Rotary phase converters (single phase motor) work but they take up space and are not efficient.
Capacitor style phase converters work with the correct style motor. But need to understand if you blow a capacitor. I install these the most.
Then if you can find a cheap VFD to run the motor that is the most efficient way. But they cost the most.

If I was going to use this air compressor I would replace the 3 phase motor with a single phase and be done with it. Sell the 3 phase motor.

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
Swapping the compressor to a single phase would probably be the best route. That or a VFD, but you need to oversize the vfd bc of the single phase input.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I agree with everyone else, cheapest option is to swap to a single phase motor. 5hp single phase air compressor duty motors are dime a dozen from places like Northern etc.

You'd need a pretty large rotary converter, or a decent sized VFD to run a 5hp air compressor. Both of which are more expensive than a new 5hp single phase comrpessor motor.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I agree with everyone else, cheapest option is to swap to a single phase motor. 5hp single phase air compressor duty motors are dime a dozen from places like Northern etc.

You'd need a pretty large rotary converter, or a decent sized VFD to run a 5hp air compressor. Both of which are more expensive than a new 5hp single phase comrpessor motor.

I wish they were easy to come by. this is a 184t frame, 1740rpm. cheapest i can find is ebay for 360 bucks. been scowering craigslist for the last few months and only came across one motor that was sold by the time i called.

i might see if i can modify the mount to allow a different frame motor to fit but ill need to buy a new pully as well since this is a 1 1/8" shaft and most out there are 7/8". no biggy there though

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I wish they were easy to come by. this is a 184t frame, 1740rpm. cheapest i can find is ebay for 360 bucks. been scowering craigslist for the last few months and only came across one motor that was sold by the time i called.

i might see if i can modify the mount to allow a different frame motor to fit but ill need to buy a new pully as well since this is a 1 1/8" shaft and most out there are 7/8". no biggy there though

damn...copper must have gone up! I just looked around for 10 minutes and the cheapest 184t-frame single phase 5hp motor I found was like $320.

The largest single-phase-input VFD can only drive up to a 3hp motor.

So that leaves you with a static phase converter (shitty, basically just a capacitor that discharges and generates the 3rd leg for a second or so to get the motor started...but even once the motor gets going its only going to produce 2/3 the rated HP when run on single phase.

IMO, I would just find a NEMA 56-frame motor and re-drill the motor base or compressor base.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
What is the voltage on the 3 phase 220 or 480? I'm no electrician but I know there is a way to do 3 phase 220 volt.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
What is the voltage on the 3 phase 220 or 480? I'm no electrician but I know there is a way to do 3 phase 220 volt.

Yes, but its still a 3-pole (3 phase) motor...you cant just run a 3-phase motor on single phase, even if the voltages are the same.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
damn...copper must have gone up! I just looked around for 10 minutes and the cheapest 184t-frame single phase 5hp motor I found was like $320.

The largest single-phase-input VFD can only drive up to a 3hp motor.

So that leaves you with a static phase converter (shitty, basically just a capacitor that discharges and generates the 3rd leg for a second or so to get the motor started...but even once the motor gets going its only going to produce 2/3 the rated HP when run on single phase.

IMO, I would just find a NEMA 56-frame motor and re-drill the motor base or compressor base.

thats what im thinkin too, redrill, throw a pulley on and go. cheaper to replace down the road too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEESON-MOTO...197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e55d3c7d

offer them $250?? It doesnt specifically say "single phase", but its got a large capacitor on it, and Ive never seen a 3-phase motor with a start/run cap...so its gotta be single phase.

id have to redrill that bad boy and buy a new pully, plus shipping id be damn close to just buying a 184t frame new one

plus 100 bucks to ship. bastards

I think what ill do is get the Norther Tool 5 hp one, even though its 3450rpm (not 1700 like i need), ill pulley it down and be good to go.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
id have to redrill that bad boy and buy a new pully, plus shipping id be damn close to just buying a 184t frame new one

isnt that one a 184 frame? Its got "184" in the part number, so I assume its 184 frame.

I think what ill do is get the Norther Tool 5 hp one, even though its 3450rpm (not 1700 like i need), ill pulley it down and be good to go.

Yeah 5hp 3450rpm single phase "compressor duty" motors are comparatively cheap, because thats what all the low/midrange compressors nowadays use. Probably the best bet. :(

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Heres what I don't know! :D

This building I'm in never had 3 phase heavy power (480 v) . I needed it so I had it installed. The old system is back feed with a step down transformer. Now what was in this building prior to me was a industrial electric motor rebuilding rewinding company.

They had to test run every motor they repaired and I recall him telling me there is a way to wire 3 phase . It was some time ago I just recall had something to do with the neutral wire to make it work. ?