Good brakes?

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I have two questions. Its time for new brakes wondering what you guys run. These brakes on here now have lasted me the four years I have had the truck and still have about 5,000 miles left so if replacing them. I don't want to spend a million dollars on them. And need something I can get locally since I am going on a fishing trip in a week. Look for something that will last like these did any ideas?

Ok so second question.
I did my suspension today and a buddy used his fancy laser alignment rack to check ride height caster...... Anyway, I put 2 inch keys in it and I think the shocks may be topping out not sure. Do I need longer shocks with these torsion keys?

O BTW lower control bushings are a b!t¢H to replace! I suggest not doing them. Uppers and torsion keys were easy thanks to an air chisel.

Sorry for the long post

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
use longer shocks or extended shock mounts, cuz yeah, your shocks are topping out...

I think EBC 3GD brakes are awesome!
I've run them before and they'd get my vote, and I'll get them again when I feel like I've gotten some use outta the current set of SSBC big bite rotors I've got now
EBC also has a rotor set that's just slotted

On my truck the LCA bushings weren't a difficult job, but every truck is different

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I think I may buy some shock mounts and hopefully those will do fine.
I didn't even think my brake pads were that bad til I saw the drivers side today. I remember pulling a buddy's jeep few months back and the drivers side front brakes were hanging pretty bad. That's the only pad that's bad on the whole truck. I may buy cheap ones for the fishing trip and order the brakes I want for when I get back. Does spotted and drilled rotors work well on these trucks?

My passenger side LCA bushing was the hard side cause it was the first ones I have ever done like that. After we figured out how to do them the drivers side wasn't bad. We used a heat gun to burn them out and used a nice ball joint press set to put them in. I will have to say the big press set at Napa is awesome. Buddy just bought some. It has two cases of adapters and a handy book to tell you which ones to use. The hard part was getting them out. A lot of grease helps too.

PatrickF

War Eagle
Apr 7, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I went with the premium pads and premium rotors on my 06 CCLB Dually. Make sure to use synthetic grease on the slide pins as anti-sieze is NOT the proper thing to use!

I did all rotors & pads, rear axle flange seals, rear diff fluid, all new fluid in the brakes, and hydroboost flush all at the same time. It's like a brand new truck now. :thumb:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
it's never too late!
just a big PITA now
remove outer caliper, remove the pins and clean out the slides and re-install with the proper grease...but I'm sure you'd do it if you wanted to...

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
What's wrong with anti-seize? Does it harden or something I think I remember something like that.

I'm not sure...I know it separates in it's container and I thought it needed the super tight tolerances and the friction/force applied on the threads to work properly...something like that

I know that every time I've done performance brakes they're either supplied with a synthetic grease or recommend/require using a synthetic grease for the slides...

could be for any number of reasons...
brakes hit really high temps and cycle temps frequently, I don't know how prone anti-seize is to absorbing water/condensation
the caliper slides are subjected to possible water contamination and the lubricant should have a high resistance to washout
consistency of the lube might need to be specific...?

I dunno, I just know if there's a specific lubricant for any task, I use it :angel:

PatrickF

War Eagle
Apr 7, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
What's wrong with anti-seize? Does it harden or something I think I remember something like that.

It hardens, flakes, and breaks down with the temperatures seen on a brake system. I removed all of the anti sieze from my truck, done by the previous owner, by merely rubbing it off like Elmer's glue. The calipers won't slide/function properly and can lead to damaged rotors and/or reduced braking power.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I've been using Silglyde from Napa forever; great stuff for slide pins.