GMC Terrain

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Anyone have one, I've been needing to ad another vehicle to the stable for awhile now, I dont drive my truck in the winter because of the salted roads so that leaves me with a falling apart 98 Oldsmobile, I originally was just going to buy a Cruze or somthing for a reliable commuter car, but looking at the GMC Terrain it can handle that role reasonablly well and replace me putting needless miles on my truck, long trips, and hunting in the fall I usually average 7,000-10,000 miles.

I drive 40 miles to work now but will be taking a new job in January and driving 60 miles but its all Interstate highway, plan on only driving it occasionally to work since its so many miles and run whats left of the Oldsmobile to the ground. Anyone that has one what do you think? I want the I-4 AWD version probably buy a low mileage used one. I guess the 2012 have variable valve timing would that be worth it, what kind of real world mileage do you see. And is it unreasonable to expect it to pull a small utilty trailer around occasionaly with a Polaris Ranger or Rzr in it?

I know its not fast or snappy or anything just really need somthing reliable with decent mileage, that can cover most of my needs again long commutes to hunting locations, trailheads in the mountains in early fall, and occasionally daily driver when the roads get bad.

4sell

Oct 29, 2012
They are nice compared to small GM SUVs made in the past. Our company sells lots of them because of the quality and mpg. Good alternative to rav4 or crv if u are a GM fan.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
I can get a traverse new for less than I can a GMC Terrain used with 20,000 miles, but I do appreciate they do at least look like SUVs and not big cars. Thats kind of another reason for considering them I dont see another smaller SUV I could not be embarrased to be seen in.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Hey Mike, hope alls going well, actually the job I accepted is on your side of the border, time to get an I-pass I guess.

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
Hey Mike, hope alls going well, actually the job I accepted is on your side of the border, time to get an I-pass I guess.
ComEd?

I-pass= $! Illinois tolls are rediculous. If I had moved to the Sycamore place it would have been $9/day for tolls alone...

Back to topic. I'll try to get some info from the BIL on his Terrain. He isn't at all car literate though.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
ComEd?

I-pass= $! Illinois tolls are rediculous. If I had moved to the Sycamore place it would have been $9/day for tolls alone...

Back to topic. I'll try to get some info from the BIL on his Terrain. He isn't at all car literate though.

That would be it, made a job offer I could not refuse, the tolls are terrible but I'll be driving down the 41, so not really any tolls but you can imagine where that means I'll be working at. Any info you get would be cool real world MPG numbers are what I'm most interested in the estimated 29 hwy sounds awesome but maybe not so realistic, either way gas is cheaper than diesel and the mileage will be better than my truck or car.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
what about buying a older dmax lb7 are getting cheap thease days or mabey a halfton truck with a 4.8/5.3 they get decent mileage plus u can still tow a friend of mine had a gmc acadi or however u spell it and it had the v6 and it got around 30 highway plus he tow his old blazer on 38s with it to mud bogs and it did ok but he traded it in for a tahoe hybrid now there nice plus he towed another blazer from the dakotas down to az with it and it did good plus the hybrid part is nice hardly use any fuel just throwing out some more ideas

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
When the Terrain came out we couldn't keep them on the lot, They are great vehicles with very few problems. My buddy at work had a FWD direct injected Ecotec that averaged 25mpg I believe. One of his friends had a AWD Ecotec and averaged 18-20 I believe, not positive. The AWD 4 cylinder Ecotec is very under powered in my opinion

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
what about buying a older dmax lb7 are getting cheap thease days or mabey a halfton truck with a 4.8/5.3 they get decent mileage plus u can still tow a friend of mine had a gmc acadi or however u spell it and it had the v6 and it got around 30 highway plus he tow his old blazer on 38s with it to mud bogs and it did ok but he traded it in for a tahoe hybrid now there nice plus he towed another blazer from the dakotas down to az with it and it did good plus the hybrid part is nice hardly use any fuel just throwing out some more ideas

Thought about it a lot actually still have that idea in the back of my mind, but realistically I don't need a truck as much as I need a decent car but a car would only be for one purpose a small SUV maybe able to be a decent comprise of both roles and save my truck needless wear and tear. The idea to of having a older dmax that will need attention and PM doesn't fit into my schedule anymore I'm looking at 1500-2500 hours of O.T. with a new job and working 16 hour days weeks on end to come home and work on a daily driver is something I've been wanting to get away from as much as I'd like a high mileage dmax to run around in I think.

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
I ended up getting a civic econ for commuting. I average 40 hwy. They also have a civic hf and it is suppose to get a few more mpg's. That is if you took towing out of the equation.

Capt.D

Sep 1, 2011
Atmore, Alabama
I was looking at one for my wife but she didn't like the squared boxy look so we bought a Equinox...same for the most part just sleeker....She loves it...

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
Talked to my BIL and here's what he had to say:

"Very reliable- I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.
Comfort- I find it a very comfortable ride and Barb does does too- she has some lower back issues so I guess the rating on comfort is excellent.
Mileage- I average close to 21/22 mpg driving around the city.
Engine- definitely consider the 6 cyl if affordable. I test drove the 4 and it took some time to merge onto ramps etc. and build up speed.
Options- I would strongly recommend the automatic lift gate (which may be standard now) as this is nice to press a button and have it lift instead of manually.
I believe the standard package includes a GPS system- I use mine constantly"

Hope that helps Nick. Good luck...:thumb:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Stay away from the Traverse/Acadia/Outlook's. Seems like they are always in our shop and the repair is always extensive, or pricey if out of warranty. The have car sized power steering pumps trying to turn SUV sized tires, front timing covers like to leak which involves removing the whole engine/subframe, 3-5-R waveplate issue in the transmissions, etc...

Terrain seems like a decent vehicle. My mom just bought a 2012 Equinox with the Ecotech 4 banger. Yeah its a little underpowered but that engine has been proven more reliable than the V6's.

bevi

Jan 17, 2010
Nh
My wife got one brand new and loved it we onlygot rid of it because she wanted third row now we have an acadia.