LML GMC 2500HD Rear Vibration

CWO3NavyDiesel

CWO3 USN Retired
Sep 12, 2013
South Dakota
Got a 2013 GMC 2500HD Denali 6.6L LML, with 800 miles. The issue is as follows: highway speed (74mph), obtrusive rear vibration apparent. Two trips to dealer, to balance/rebalance tires, check alignment. Nothing found, told vibration from possible tire flat spot (sitting on lot for awhile). Any others with similar issue? I ask because I test drove 2014 model, and had similar vibration present at highway speeds. For the cost I expected a smother ride, this happens to be more than a beefier suspension effect. I feel less vibration when tire pressure reduced to 58/72 psi front/rear, from 62/80 psi tire pressure when took delivery.

giest

MCLMM
May 23, 2011
Fallbrook, CA
i had vibe with my lb7 @ 55-60mph. Was caused by loose ubolts allowing the axle to wrap way out of control and the drive shaft ujoint knuckles were coming into contact with yoke collar on the diff.

I seriously doubt this is your issue but worth a look, you never know.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Did they road force balance the tires?

+1 on the road force. Maybe drivelines aren't being balanced properly from the factory. Is your truck a cc and 4wd? Also try a couple of sand bags or something similar in weight and throw in the bed and go for a spin at the same speeds and on the same road. To check if the vibration is gone.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
I'd put 400-500 pounds over the rear axle, and see if it goes away. It probably will. Truck was designed to haul weight, not drive empty.

Google search "GM Frame Beaming" for more info.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I feel less vibration when tire pressure reduced to 58/72 psi front/rear, from 62/80 psi tire pressure when took delivery.

Wow, IMHO, that's some extreme tire pressure on an empty truck especially on the stock tires :spit: that might be a little bit of the problem...according to the way you wrote this, you run the front tires at a lower pressure than the rears? Try it the other way around... I have 80psi rated tires, when The truck is not loaded up, I run 58-64lbs on the fronts, and 46-52 on the rears. Food for thought:thumb: the front axle has way more weight on it than the bed, so unless you have a load on, the rear tires should have less air pressure than the fronts to attain the best ride possible when empty

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Try a set of different tires. Swap the front tires to the rear and rear to the front. Make sure they road force the tires while balancing. You said its a 2013 so your problem is the dealerships problem because of warranty.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Wow, IMHO, that's some extreme tire pressure on an empty truck especially on the stock tires :spit: that might be a little bit of the problem...according to the way you wrote this, you run the front tires at a lower pressure than the rears? Try it the other way around... I have 80psi rated tires, when The truck is not loaded up, I run 58-64lbs on the fronts, and 46-52 on the rears. Food for thought:thumb: the front axle has way more weight on it than the bed, so unless you have a load on, the rear tires should have less air pressure than the fronts to attain the best ride possible when empty

^^^ WHAT??? You have aftermarket wheels and tires... Hell in my 37's I run 50psi. Aftermarket wheels and tires are the other of the spectrum from stock. STOCK is what we are talking about here. With a brand new truck and 800 miles on it. I'm assuming he is still running factory wheels and tires. On the drivers door from the factory it states 55psi for the FRONT tires and 80psi for the REAR tires. Not the this, try it the other way around... Remember when you check the psi in your tires. The tires are supposed to be cold or ambient temperature. Not after you have driven. The more you drive the more friction and heat caused which fluctuates psi and the height of a tire.

Last edited:

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
^^^ Good call. I forgot about those retard sensors, since I don't have them on my lbz. So, can't really take the advise of dropping psi way down. TPMS wouldn't be happy.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
to the OP, keep it simple...like someone said throw some weight in the back and it will probably go away...the more and more these trucks are rated to tow the worse they ride empty, same reason the ass end sticks up...stupid engineers think they are going to be fully loaded 24/7

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
^^^ WHAT??? You have aftermarket wheels and tires... Hell in my 37's I run 50psi. Aftermarket wheels and tires are the other of the spectrum from stock. STOCK is what we are talking about here. With a brand new truck and 800 miles on it. I'm assuming he is still running factory wheels and tires. On the drivers door from the factory it states 55psi for the FRONT tires and 80psi for the REAR tires. Not the this, try it the other way around... Remember when you check the psi in your tires. The tires are supposed to be cold or ambient temperature. Not after you have driven. The more you drive the more friction and heat caused which fluctuates psi and the height of a tire.
I think we are saying the same thing?
As i understand it, The rating on the door is the recommended towing pressures, isnt it? Stock tires or not, and this is JMHO, the tire pressure should be lower in the rear than in the front when unloaded...

The new body style have to have atleast 70 or more to keep the tpms happy... Not sure on the exact pressure.
Wow, you're kidding? That seems ridiculous
^^^ That's what I was about to say. Drop that pressure down too much and the idiot lights turn on.
Guess he wasn't kidding, hard to believe the factory wants 70 psi in there at all times or the tpms goes off

On the cars I have that have tpms sensors, I can reset the value, so if the tpms lights up, I just have to be in park and reset the sensors with a button in the glovebox, then the tpms stores the current pressure as the correct value

This is not possible with the duramax?

Shitty

Last edited:

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
according to the way you wrote this, you run the front tires at a lower pressure than the rears? Try it the other way around... I have 80psi rated tires, when The truck is not loaded up, I run 58-64lbs on the fronts, and 46-52 on the rears. Food for thought:thumb: the front axle has way more weight on it than the bed, so unless you have a load on, the rear tires should have less air pressure than the fronts to attain the best ride possible when empty

I think we are saying the same thing?
As i understand it, The rating on the door is the recommended towing pressures, isnt it? Stock tires or not, and this is JMHO, the tire pressure should be lower in the front than in the rear when unloaded...
you just said two completely opposite things...:confused:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Wow, you're kidding? That seems ridiculous

Guess he wasn't kidding, hard to believe the factory wants 70 psi in there at all times or the tpms goes off

On the cars I have that have tpms sensors, I can reset the value, so if the tpms lights up, I just have to be in park and reset the sensors with a button in the glovebox, then the tpms stores the current pressure as the correct value

This is not possible with the duramax?

Shitty

Factory rear is usually 80psi. The TPMS turns on the light when the actual pressure drops about 10% of the rated psi. And yes you can reprogram the tire pressures in the RCDLR with a Tech II, but technically that's federally illegal since the fed's made TPMS mandatory. But we still do it at our dealership.