General Questions On Transmission Behavior

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Hope this doesn't come off as super newb questions. Just want to get schooled a bit here.

Shifting into reverse my truck jumps into gear. Shifting from 1st - 2nd it's a fairly hard shift with very smooth shifts throughout afterwards. Is this due to running high line pressure?

Also when I'm cruising at steady throttle and I hit 5th (TC not locked) and punch it to pass it jumps back down to 4th. Is this because it may have been ready to lockup or shift to 6th? essentially is that common behavior?

Running PPEI max effort tune.

Trans is Suncoast GMax-6R-3 kit, ML-G converter, Goerend PTO case mod, Mike L pressure regulator & accumulator set.

03sxviper

Jan 21, 2014
thanks Mike. I too was worried about the 1st-2nd shift. Feels harsh for me too when I'm light on the throttle rolling up to 20kph thats when mine shifts into 2nd.

Don't mean to jack this thread... But I too am having some concerns with my 2011 LMl. I been running a H&S on performance tune for about 2years. I mostly do highway miles so it benefits my fuel millage. I just did my 2nd trans oil change at 100,000miles (oil was dark) than relearned the tranny with the programer. Im on a trip currently in the mountains and i noticed that I'm getting some harsh downshifts at times when the exhaust brake is on with the trailer tow mode. And a few times the transmission wouldn't shift out of 3rd and into 4th even when i let off the brakes and applied the throttle it would stay at 3000rpm and I would have to release the tow haul mode. That never happened to me before. Another time as I was coming into a sharp turn it downshifted hard enough that it banged. I relearned the trans about 2weeks ago when I was in the parries. It did it one more time without the tow haul mode and just the exhaust brake when we were coming off the highway.

On the plus side I been getting my best millage ever. 24mpg!

Im going to be keeping a eye on everything more closely. Trans temps seemed ok... Between 60-80deg C. in the mountains

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Relearn is used after rebuild. It diverges all the shifts. Not a good idea to use it when you feel like it.