General Motors to kill Pontiac on Monday

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
According to a report from InsideLine, General Motors could axe Pontiac as early as this Monday. Although IL isn't citing its source within GM, it did contact the General's PR man, Tom Wilkinson, who said, "There's nothing I can share with you at this time... Officially, nothing has changed with Pontiac's niche-brand status, until you hear differently." Not very clear, but not particularly positive either.

The line about Pontiac's "niche-brand status" has been floating around since last December, when GM began to focus on its four core brands – Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC – while readying the rest (Saab, Saturn and Hummer) for execution or extradition.

Pontiac's focus has been ill-defined (at best) over the decade, with solid products like the G8 coming to market alongside other less-than-stellar offerings (cough, G3). There was talk of reigniting Pontiac's performance heritage or even refocusing the brand as a Scion competitor. Regardless of past plans or intentions, there was no doubt that Pontiac was in the cross-hairs, and come Monday, we might know it's final fate.

Full Story

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
We'd all of been alot better off if they just would of went through a structured bankruptcy, I've heard also that GMC's chances of making it are very slim. This GM of now is definetely not a company I want to buy anything new from. But I guess it doesnt matter if the goverment keeps bullying them around they wont have anything that I'll want to buy anymore anyways. Its a shame I was thinking with 0% I could use a good commuter to keep miles off of the D-max.

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I have Solstice GXP and love the car.

I would be disappointed in GM if they kill off the diversity that comes from the Pontiac brand.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
G8 = Grand Prix
G6 = Grand Am

Count the letters after "G". :rolleyes: Funny how you can abbreviate a name and create a "new" car....

I always felt GM screwed the pooch when they effectively killed Oldsmobile in the 90s with the Calais and Achieva.

Its a crying shame what's happening to American manufacturing.

Last edited:

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
I guess the governments purchase of "several" G6's didn't help save them...or maybe they got them at a goin'-out-of-business sale...:eek:

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
We'd all of been alot better off if they just would of went through a structured bankruptcy,
What's bad is they'll probably put up with all the gov't mandates for bailout money and still end up filing bankruptcy.

Blueox03

Aug 12, 2006
Jackson County, MS
G8 = Grand Prix
G6 = Grand Am

Count the letters after "G". :rolleyes: Funny how you can abbreviate a name and create a "new" car....

I always felt GM screwed the pooch when they effectively killed Oldsmobile in the 90s with the Calais and Achieva.

Its a crying shame what's happening to American manufacturing.

Um, no. While that doe coincidentally work out, it's not the case. The G6 replaced the Grand Am which had five generations G6=Generation 6. There is barely anything similar between the gen5 GA and the G6. The G8 replaced the Grand Prix which had seven generations. This is kinda like the vette C1, C2, C3 and so on.

G8 is nothing like the Grand Prix
X2 Grand Prix and G8 share the make and four tires and that's about it...