Gate idea

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
even if you just pull it off one side, you are dropping the PSI and mass flow to the turbo. Which means the gated side won't have to work as hard. Thus somewhat balancing the system out. The ungated side will still have a higher back pressure and temp than the gated side, but less than if there was no gate there

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I don't think that 100psi of drive (which is a lot imo), is anything substantial for the piston to push against on exh stroke compared to cyl pressure on the compression stroke.

I was working under the same idea. I had a wastegate on egr port.
I was running about 3800 rpm in 4th gear. The gate was open.
The boost line to open the gate blew and the gate shut abruptly.
On the way back down to the pit the oil light came on.
Magged crank it was cracked normal spot.
I have been gun shy to try the egr wastegate since then.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I was working under the same idea. I had a wastegate on egr port.
I was running about 3800 rpm in 4th gear. The gate was open.
The boost line to open the gate blew and the gate shut abruptly.
On the way back down to the pit the oil light came on.
Magged crank it was cracked normal spot.
I have been gun shy to try the egr wastegate since then.

So because you broke a crank just like everyone else does you blame it on a wastegate?

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
So because you broke a crank just like everyone else does you blame it on a wastegate?

Just my opinion. I still use wastegates and never tried to prove it.
I would be leary of running them off the egr port on anything with more backpressure than the stock turbine.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
maybe its jsut me but concidering the fact you already have to weld a brace/tab on and will need a different flange for the wastegate (unless im thinking about it wrong and it bolts right up), why not just drill a hole in the driverside up pipe, weld another pipe on it, run it under the down pipe and connect it to the passengerside egr pipe?

why go half way when it wouldnt take all that much more to connect both sides?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most of those ^^^ setups still only pull from one bank? Unless it's open inside of the pedestal. Very clean setup though!

Crawler

Aug 26, 2013
DFW, TX
A lot of options, many good ones have been discussed. I'm going to limit my comments to the original idea.

Although not optimum, I do see it as working fine.

Many OEM turbos in various applications are dual volute setups and one volute it fed by one set of cylinders and the other by another set of cylinders. Most of those setups only wastegate one volute and therefore only one set of cylinders.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Not that much bri. and like I said it would have to be supported. Guys crack up pipes with just a blocker plate on them without the support of the OEM mounts

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I'd guess the same as a stock uppipe. Aren't they the same thickness bellow? As long as its supported by the engine I'm sure it will be fine. Well just as long a stock uppipe would last haha

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I'd guess the same as a stock uppipe. Aren't they the same thickness bellow? As long as its supported by the engine I'm sure it will be fine. Well just as long a stock uppipe would last haha

The EGR has a bracket that supports it. even on a stock turbo truck just a blocker plate will cause them to crack. So it would have to be support well to make it last.