Fuelab lift pumps

Josh@Fuelab

Jul 24, 2014
The filters we include should be sufficient. There's a small in-line strainer filter before the pump and a Baldwin BF1212 after the pump.

If you previously had an aftermarket lift pump, one of the switch out install kits is all you really would have needed. Then again, you would have needed a draw straw as well (assuming your old lift pump was a lower flow unit). By the time you purchased the little switch out kit and the draw straw, you would have been pretty close to the price of the full install kit (which includes the draw straw and the pre-filter).

The draw straw is just as the name suggests- it draws fuel from the tank through a "straw". That's not required for the 100gph systems because the stock pickup will flow enough to feed it. However, the 200gph flows more than the stock pickup can handle. Think of it like trying to suck a milkshake through a small diameter straw compared to a large diameter straw.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Josh@Fuelab, how often of at all should the strainer/filter be replaced? What is the diameter of the draw straw for the 20202 kit and can you run without it, and If I were to run without the draw straw would that create enough restriction on the pump to be of any concern using the 40% option on the pump? Is the vortex air separation chamber a wear item?

Velocity 200GPM pump

Josh@Fuelab

Jul 24, 2014
The draw straw is 1/2". You have to run the draw straw with the 200gph system. Without it, you risk cavitation damage to the pump, even at reduced speed.

The air separation unit is not a wear item- it will last as long or longer than the pump itself.

Josh@Fuelab

Jul 24, 2014
Sorry- forgot all about that.

There's a lot of schools of thought there. You "correct" way to do it would be to monitor pressure drop across the filter. That's not all that feasible for most people. Personally, I would swap it when I did the post filter change as well. A sure-fire sign though, is when the pump starts getting louder than usual. Ideally, you won't wait that long- at that point the pump is cavitating a bit. There's just too many variables involved for me to be able to tell you when to change it- how clean your fuel is, how clean your stock tank is, your environment, etc. An interval that works for one guy might not work for the next.

Josh@Fuelab

Jul 24, 2014
You need to have some kind of a pre-filter before the pump. If it's a small filter like the one that's included in the kit, it needs to be something between a 100-60 micron element- something that will protect the pump but not restrict the inlet.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Fuel Lab deff makes some quality stuff I just cant get by the 2 year warranty compared to a life time warranty. What the longest anyone has run one of these diesel pumps?

Josh@Fuelab

Jul 24, 2014
Unlike a brushed motor, our pumps have very few wear items. Motor failures are the main thing you hear about when it comes to lift pump problems. Usually, that's due to the brushes wearing out/failing or the shaft seal that separates the motor from the pump will fail. We have no brushes to wear out nor do we have a shaft seal that can wear out- we use a flow through/wet motor design.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a product that rarely fails and not need the warranty rather than have a lifetime warranty on something that I have to keep sending back or replacing. We are very lenient when it comes to warranty coverage- both time-frame and what we will/won't cover . You won't be denied coverage because you didn't send the warranty card in. Lastly, if you do have a failure that's well outside the warranty period, we will repair the pump. Repairs are generally inexpensive. We just try to break even on them and get you back on the road as soon as possible. Repairs are not viewed as a money maker for us. I do understand your concern though- extra reassurance is always nice I guess.

A guy sent a pump in a few months ago just to be checked out. He claimed to have a shade under 200k miles on it. The veins/rotor looked fine and the wear plates just had a bit of polishing. He was having no problems with it, he just wanted to send it in to be a looked over. Diesel fuel is a lot more forgiving than gas and especially E85/Alcohol.

Josh@Fuelab

Jul 24, 2014
The 100gph is good for up to around 500hp. The 200gph is good for around 1000hp as-is and up to around 1800hp-2000hp with the add-on regulator. Our flow ratings are at pressure, not free-flow. They are also a bit on the modest side- most flow around 5-10% more than advertised. Each pump comes with the flow chart from when we tested it before shipping, so you know exactly what your pump is capable of.

Last edited:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Picked my truck up yesterday. Diesel Addiction installed a billet input, improved 4" downpipe, radiator, Exergy 60% overs and the Fuelab Velocity 200 liftpump. The liftpump is wired up straight with the ignition on and runs at 40% Dustin also wired it to a toggle that when turned on supply's fuel at 100%. I think my max effort tune with the 60s is around 2500 pulse? We logged it with the toggle on, 100% and it held 22900-23000 rail. I plan to log it myself with the toggle off at 40%, but seat of the pants tells me nothing will change. To be sure though I'll log it. Really good looking pump setup, couldn't be happier!

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Picked my truck up yesterday. Diesel Addiction installed a billet input, improved 4" downpipe, radiator, Exergy 60% overs and the Fuelab Velocity 200 liftpump. The liftpump is wired up straight with the ignition on and runs at 40% Dustin also wired it to a toggle that when turned on supply's fuel at 100%. I think my max effort tune with the 60s is around 2500 pulse? We logged it with the toggle on, 100% and it held 22900-23000 rail. I plan to log it myself with the toggle off at 40%, but seat of the pants tells me nothing will change. To be sure though I'll log it. Really good looking pump setup, couldn't be happier!

You're holding 23000 psi on a stock cp3 with 60's @ 2500us? I'd like to see this log, if possible.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
You're holding 23000 psi on a stock cp3 with 60's @ 2500us? I'd like to see this log, if possible.
I plan to log it as soon as I get the time, but look back at my post I have a ? Behind 2500. I thought that's what it was but obviously not if that's not the norm. I'm not a tuner and I have a bad memory lol! What would someone normally shoot for on pulse with my setup?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I don't think a stock cp3 will hold rail much anything over a 1900us-2000us tune with 60% injectors.

Brand new cp3 with my 30% injectors was dropping to 23,000 psi from 26,000 on a 2300us tune.