fuel pressure gauge install Q's

c_murray7313

Addicted to HORSEPOWER!!!
Apr 2, 2007
Ocean City, Maryland
how is everyone installing their electric fuel pressure gauge? i found the schrader valve that is located just behind the alternator but could find an adapter to go from the schrader fitting to 1/8NPT that is on the sending unit. am i able to take the schrader off and put a "T" fitting under it so i can put the sending unit in between the schrader and that rest of the system? if i can do that, how do i get whatever air is in the fuel line out? would i be able to just use the hand pump on the top of the fuel filter housing to get the air out or is there some other way of doing it? this is the only thing holding up my gauge install so i can get my edge out f the truck once and for all. thanks in advance.

chris

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
how is everyone installing their electric fuel pressure gauge? i found the schrader valve that is located just behind the alternator but could find an adapter to go from the schrader fitting to 1/8NPT that is on the sending unit. am i able to take the schrader off and put a "T" fitting under it so i can put the sending unit in between the schrader and that rest of the system? if i can do that, how do i get whatever air is in the fuel line out? would i be able to just use the hand pump on the top of the fuel filter housing to get the air out or is there some other way of doing it? this is the only thing holding up my gauge install so i can get my edge out f the truck once and for all. thanks in advance.

chris

You might pm larryjewell, he has a pressure gauge on his reading pressure from the pump to the lift pump. I think his is connected at the fuel pump it's self.

SmokeAintBroke

<----Not my truck anymore
Dec 29, 2006
I just removed the schrader valve completely and pushed a piece of 1/2" soft fuel line over the threads where the schrader came off on the engine. Then put a hose clamp on that connection. The threads seem to hold it well. On the other end of the fuel line i used a barbed fitting among other things to get it to the 1/8 npt or whatever the sender is. Its pretty ghetto but i have had no problems as of yet. This was the fastest and easiest way of doing this w/o order a bunch of unique fittings.

P.S. I used heater hose first like a newb, and that didn't work very good:D.

c_murray7313

Apr 2, 2007
Ocean City, Maryland
i got it on this afternoon before i came in to work. i took the schrader valve completely off and left it off. i found a brakeline fitting that had the proper thread pitch to fit on the schrader valve threads and then adapted it down to the 1/8 NPT on the sending unit. by the time had had everything wired up and slick looking i had to get ready for work so ill post some pics up on thursday.

SmokeAintBroke

<----Not my truck anymore
Dec 29, 2006
Thats sweet, it sounds way less hillbilly than mine does. But whatever works i guess right? :)

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

chris

sound like you did a nice job chris:)

dont feel bad, I use braided line :cool2:The bad thing was it sawed through my A/C line:(

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I just removed the schrader valve completely and pushed a piece of 1/2" soft fuel line over the threads where the schrader came off on the engine. Then put a hose clamp on that connection. The threads seem to hold it well. On the other end of the fuel line i used a barbed fitting among other things to get it to the 1/8 npt or whatever the sender is. Its pretty ghetto but i have had no problems as of yet. This was the fastest and easiest way of doing this w/o order a bunch of unique fittings.

what a hillbilly

c_murray7313

Apr 2, 2007
Ocean City, Maryland
the install didnt go to bad, the worst part was just running all the D$^N wires. ive got my truck with me here at work today so ill post some pics up of the finished product. total parts adapting the schrader valve to the pressure sending unit was $2.00. thats less than a half a beer at some of the local establishments:D

c_murray7313

Apr 2, 2007
Ocean City, Maryland
several install pics

as promised, here are the pics of the fuel pressure gauge and sending unit installed on the truck. 10 minutes of finding the fittings and putting them together and a couple of hours to run all of the wires for the rest of the gauges.

Last edited: