LB7: Fuel mileage

whitemax03

Jul 4, 2010
winnsboro louisiana
Hey guys im kinda new hear and not sure if i put this in the right spot. Sry if its in wrng place.
So hear goes ive got a 03 ext cab duramax running 35s on 18s truck is 100% stock except for the topkick ecm and fcim and im getn horrible fuel mileage. Like about 12mpg at the best. What can i do to help increase the mileage.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Why does it have a topkick ECM in it? I would go back to a regular truck tune as it will have a MUCh better fuel curve in it for driving unloaded. With your tires though, if you have stock gears I wouldn't expect much for milage. I just had a guy here with an LMM(08) with 35's, and all he is getting is 10-11 empty or loaded. them big tires look good, but with stock gears KILL your milage. Put in a stock tune with optimized timing(EFILIVE, and yes it will work on 4500/5500 tunes), and some 4.56 gears if you want to keep the bigger tires.

whitelmmmax

Smaller than stock
Jul 26, 2011
lake charles, la
Why does it have a topkick ECM in it? I would go back to a regular truck tune as it will have a MUCh better fuel curve in it for driving unloaded. With your tires though, if you have stock gears I wouldn't expect much for milage. I just had a guy here with an LMM(08) with 35's, and all he is getting is 10-11 empty or loaded. them big tires look good, but with stock gears KILL your milage. Put in a stock tune with optimized timing(EFILIVE, and yes it will work on 4500/5500 tunes), and some 4.56 gears if you want to keep the bigger tires.

X2 on the truck ECM. Before the triples I was getting 15 in town and 19 on interstate with 35s.

whitemax03

Jul 4, 2010
winnsboro louisiana
Efi live sounds good. Idk if ther is anybody close to the northeast louisiana area that does it or not. How do i find a dealer for it. The truck was a border patrol truck and the top kick ecm was in the truck when i bought it but i wasnt aware that it was in there until i tried to program it. Ive got 4.11s in my trucl now and the fuel mileage really wasnt any different with the stock tires and wheels.
If i was to get efi live can i still tow with it. I occasionally pull a 40ft gooseneck loaded down with 4wheelers and sxs. Prolly in the 12000lb range far as weight goes.

dbev24

Oct 27, 2011
Darlington pa
Efi live sounds good. Idk if ther is anybody close to the northeast louisiana area that does it or not. How do i find a dealer for it. The truck was a border patrol truck and the top kick ecm was in the truck when i bought it but i wasnt aware that it was in there until i tried to program it. Ive got 4.11s in my trucl now and the fuel mileage really wasnt any different with the stock tires and wheels.
If i was to get efi live can i still tow with it. I occasionally pull a 40ft gooseneck loaded down with 4wheelers and sxs. Prolly in the 12000lb range far as weight goes.

Yea u can still tow. Put a dsp5 and get tow tunes and fuel economy tunes. Just look at some vendors on here they will hook u up

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Talk to member "bluessmax". His name is Kory. IIRC, he lives in Louisiana and does tuning.