Front seal change, how much?

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
when you see how much easier it is with the special tool, you wouldn't want to try anything else. Just borrow the tool or buy one. You won't regret it.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
when you see how much easier it is with the special tool, you wouldn't want to try anything else. Just borrow the tool or buy one. You won't regret it.

x1000

With the right remover & installer, it took me like 10 minutes to change the seal (once the rest of the stuff was out of the way). Problem is the tools are STUPID expensive.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
x1000

With the right remover & installer, it took me like 10 minutes to change the seal (once the rest of the stuff was out of the way). Problem is the tools are STUPID expensive.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Dave did you end up using someone else's tool? If so I will have Scott ship mine right back to me.

JRODS*LB7

Feb 1, 2012
SE Massachusetts
big enough socket,extension and a hammer works on all seals ive ever installed with no leaks ever:thumb:A real mechanic always finds a way even if you got to fab something up how the heck you think that gm tool was created in the first place!:hug:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
big enough socket,extension and a hammer works on all seals ive ever installed with no leaks ever:thumb:A real mechanic always finds a way even if you got to fab something up how the heck you think that gm tool was created in the first place!:hug:
Have you ever installed a Duramax front or rear main seal? They aren't your typical seal.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Interesting thread!

Here you have individuals willing and waiting to lend you the proper tool for a little shipping cost to do the job correct with out worries BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS HAVING THE RIGHT TOOL TO DO THE JOB SAVES TIME EFFORT AND MAKES IT TEN TIMES EASIER but yet individuals are arguing the point of shade tree backyard in a pinch way to do it and think it's a better option! :roflmao:

Borrow the tool!

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I guess if you have the money and time to do it more than once the shade tree way might work. If you've ever worked in on of these trucks much you notice pretty quick that is costly and time consuming enough already.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

JRODS*LB7

Feb 1, 2012
SE Massachusetts
Interesting thread!

Here you have individuals willing and waiting to lend you the proper tool for a little shipping cost to do the job correct with out worries BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS HAVING THE RIGHT TOOL TO DO THE JOB SAVES TIME EFFORT AND MAKES IT TEN TIMES EASIER but yet individuals are arguing the point of shade tree backyard in a pinch way to do it and think it's a better option! :roflmao:

Borrow the tool!

im not saying its a better option by all means yes if can get the tool use it but if he needs or wants it done right away theres other ways doesnt mean it wasnt installed correctly:eek:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
buddy have you seen this tool? its quite easy to make all i am saying if he wants it done asap and doesnt want to borrow someone elses tool there are other options

No Bud but I have seen seal pullers and installers and used them and I have also used sockets and a hammer also hammers and a punch 100 times more than I have a seal installer! Trust me if I had my truck or any vehicle apart and needed to do a seal the punch and hammer would be used. I wouldn't wait to get a proper tool.

I don't believe this Gent is in a pinch or bind to replace this seal. So if he is making plans to DIY this seal I'd gather up all my parts and proper tools and tear into it. Would I go out and buy one? I highly doubt it Bud especially when someone(s) is offering up a free loaner.

From what I'm reading here it is easy to do but a bitch to get to so why take the chance of 'possibly' wrecking the seal installing it and having to do it twice? I've seen people have to do seals more than once because they were bent not centered etc and developed a leak do to improper installation.

So take it easy Bud I just found this thread interesting it wasn't directed at you. Like you said and your correct if my truck was disabled I wouldn't wait for UPS to drop off a seal installer I would also use what was available at the time. :thumb:

Maybe I read something wrong I didn't know this was a rush!

Ok Buddy friend pal?

JRODS*LB7

Feb 1, 2012
SE Massachusetts
No Bud but I have seen seal pullers and installers and used them and I have also used sockets and a hammer also hammers and a punch 100 times more than I have a seal installer! Trust me if I had my truck or any vehicle apart and needed to do a seal the punch and hammer would be used. I wouldn't wait to get a proper tool.

I don't believe this Gent is in a pinch or bind to replace this seal. So if he is making plans to DIY this seal I'd gather up all my parts and proper tools and tear into it. Would I go out and buy one? I highly doubt it Bud especially when someone(s) is offering up a free loaner.

From what I'm reading here it is easy to do but a bitch to get to so why take the chance of 'possibly' wrecking the seal installing it and having to do it twice? I've seen people have to do seals more than once because they were bent not centered etc and developed a leak do to improper installation.

So take it easy Bud I just found this thread interesting it wasn't directed at you. Like you said and your correct if my truck was disabled I wouldn't wait for UPS to drop off a seal installer I would also use what was available at the time. :thumb:

Maybe I read something wrong I didn't know this was a rush!

Ok Buddy friend pal?
lol no problem Pal :) didnt mean it in a bad way towards you either i believe he said he didnt want to pay for the tool it is crazy money for it,and someone offered to ship him the tool to borrow it thats cool too i was just suggesting because i kno i probally wouldnt want to wait for shipping thats why i said socket and extension as alternative . :angel: No hard feelings pls.:thumb:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Your 100% correct . Unless I did it for a living or did many of them no way would I buy one. How many times are you going to do a front seal. Unless I just had to have one then I'd buy one.

I look at for instance a U-joint tool, different vehicle. I've used one once made it a breeze all the other times vise hammer socket! Specialty tools are nice but practicality makes more sense in most cases! Specially in a pinch

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
Has been leaking from day one of the built engine. I took it back to installer, because I couldn't locate the leak. Was told it was the front main seal, which is the builders fault. Got it back and it still leaks. Is it possible that the cover could be damaged and seal is not able to seal up. Was asking about the cost because I am trying to figure out my bill. Little surprised.

Is the bill for this repair? The seal repair from it leaking since day one? If so, why are you paying for it to begin with?