LLY: front axle removal

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
Removing the front axle and according to service manuel it says to rotate the axle so the mounting ear can pass the steering link. Well mine hits the steering link and i even have the wheel turned on the way to the left. Anyone have any tips on how to remove steering link form pitman arm. I have beat and beat on the steering link trying to break the taper loose or can i just get a pitman arm removal tool and use it on that? My tierod folk is to small

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
Take a sawzal to the sway bar bolt... :rofl: Had to do this in the pits at Keystone Nationals to a buddy's truck so he could make the finals.

02Dmaxdually

May 16, 2011
Havelock, NC
I used a pitman arm puller to remove the idler arm from center link. Then to remove the idler arm pivot assembly i believe it's two 19mm bolts and you can just twist it out.

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
I have had the axle out in years past. But i just dont remember it being this bad on getting steering link off of the pitman arm. Guess it gives me another reason to go buy some more tools.

02Dmaxdually

May 16, 2011
Havelock, NC
I've replaced my pitman and idler arms 4 times now, and the pitman arm puller pops it right off the center link with about 3 turns after you hand tighten it. Just keep your face back so you don't smack yourself in the face. If you are taking the pitman arm off the steering gear you have to take the 3 bolts off the steering gear that hold it to the frame.