front axle issues

DuramaxSMOKE11

Diesel Smoke
Jan 14, 2009
Altamont, NY
hey guys i am having issues with my front axle. it locks in 4 wheel drive fine but it doesnt come out until i stop and turn one way. also when im in 4 wheel drive driving through the snow the truck throws all over the place i have to constantly fight the steering wheel. was wondering if anyone else has had these issues and what are common problems found in the front alxes.

thank you mike

tracas7

Nov 23, 2012
Arizona
I just wish Chevy would come out with a straight axle. Then u wouldnt have to worry about ur front end. Does it fight u on pavement? Pull at all? Sounds like u might need alignment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Are the tire tread thicknesses about the same on all 4 tires? As in the rears aren't bald and the fronts look brand new :D When I first bought my LB7 the steering was all over the place in 4x4 in the snow. Tread depth was all off and my idler/pitman were worn out.

gmagictsp

Feb 20, 2013
I had the same thing I replaced the front tires and not the rears because the idler and pitman arm were worn out. The 4wd binds tons if I am on pavement.

DuramaxSMOKE11

Diesel Smoke
Jan 14, 2009
Altamont, NY
yes the left one is more worn then the right one. it doesnt seem to me that tghe front end parts are loose. i replaced the inner rod ends and the upper ball joints but nothing crazy that would throw the tires out of wack.