Friend Needs Help!

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Im posting for a good friend of mine. He has an 03 LB7 and the truck needs Head Gaskets. Hes asked me to maybe help him since he knows I come to the forum for help alot. Anyway, he doesnt want a drag truck so I have gave my opinion and said maybe do gaskets and good studs, injectors have never been replace before and there is no known issues with them so replace them while hes in there yes or no? Also, we are in Florida and we are not aware of any mechanics that are trust worthy around where we live. so should he attempt to accomplish this task with or find a mechanic. I would def give a good friend a helping hand and the experience would be a plus for me. I have never done them on a diesel but I def am not shy to tackle a project.. Just a little insight or help moving forward would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you for any thoughts.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Where at in fl? I'm no expert but I have learned a lot about the good old lb7s from my truck :rolleyes:
If you're not far I could lend a hand if needed

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

06dmax

Aug 5, 2009
Definitely possible to do by your self if you have general knowledge of the motor and hand tools I had mine off in 6 hours on an LBZ. And how many miles on the truck?

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
I have always been the one to say dont fix if its not broke .. How about injectors being replaced at the same time even if there isnt any issues with them now.. arnt lb7s known for injector issues or no

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Damn, that's a little far :eek: im about 5 hours north. If it were me I'd find a well recommended diesel shop and at least have the injectors checked out. At 173k they're definitely up there for an lb7

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I guess if he has the extra coin for injectors it would always be nice to replace them but its not my money guess if they arent broke........you can always help him out 3 months from now when they go lol IDK hard to say flip a coin

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
yeah thats what everyone seams to recomend is the "c" gaskets and ARP's to clamp it all down.I would spend the money to freshen the heads up also it will help with any blow by other then the rings and your going to have to get them checked for straightness any ways.I would also get an injector cup seal kit from Henry and i would pull all the cups install new seals and orings and reseal the tips of the cup with red loctite again just to make it all fresh. JMO

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
"C" grade gaskets. New injector cups and o rings. Have the heads worked over ny a good shop. I wish I would've done injectors when I did head gaskets though. No real need for studs if he's not gonna hot rod.

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Thanks for the Input .. I feel if your gonna do it do it right the first time.. But to each there own. :D Ive been hunting around and trying to find the best way to get it down really dont want to pull the motor or the cab haha guess beggers cant be choosers

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Thanks for the Input .. I feel if your gonna do it do it right the first time.. But to each there own. :D Ive been hunting around and trying to find the best way to get it down really dont want to pull the motor or the cab haha guess beggers cant be choosers
You always want to do it rite the 1st time and i have done 3h/g jobs in the truck with the cab on its not a big deal.you dont have to remove the turbo,take the bolts and studs out of the exhaust mainfolds and leave the manifolds bolted to the uppipes leave the clam shell bolted to the head till you get it out.

Where would be the best place to look for the head gasket kit and head studs????
Darryl or Henry from creatures the link is in my sig down below,is your truck the 1 in question that needs the h/g's?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Talk to Henry at creatures of the night. He's got damn good prices on head stud kits. You can do it yourself without pulling the cab or engine. Id also do injectors, since y'all are gonna be balls deep in it already might as well throw them in there. I didn't mess with pulling the cups and re sealing them because none of them pulled out with the injectors. Just keep your work are nice and tidy.