LBZ: floor shift verses push button quality

Bertram38

Nov 21, 2012
Seems every time I find a LBZ it has no options and floor shift. I know the floor shift Transfer case is better than button style. Why I know this!, I currently have a 8.1 allison truck and front axel blew up solid, well I drove that truck another 8 thousand miles and did not hurt transfer case. When front axel was replaced the yard stated if it was a push button I would have been towed home.

If You all had a choice of floor shift with all options would be my wish, but seems GM dont make that. or am I wrong???.

2nd ? On top of a LBZ accessories, what is the differance between a lly. Cause I found a 2007 Vin 8th digit D. Just want to make sure it is a LBZ not some basterdized LLY or LB7.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Our search button is extremely useful for someone with your current knowledge base. A 2006 LLY is not a bastardized anything it is everything a 2006 and 2007 LBZ is with the exception of more conservative tuning. I don't see how that transfer case story holds true many high horsepower trucks have the push button transfer case myself included.

Bertram38

Nov 21, 2012
Our search button is extremely useful for someone with your current knowledge base. A 2006 LLY is not a bastardized anything it is everything a 2006 and 2007 LBZ is with the exception of more conservative tuning. I don't see how that transfer case story holds true many high horsepower trucks have the push button transfer case myself included.

Thanks , that is why I asked that ? button verses floor shift.
2nd ? was, I want to be sure LBZ top externals are noticably differant than LLY. I have done my research on the LBZ 6 speed, that is what I want to BUY .

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
^^x2^^

how do you blow a front axle up solid and drive another 8 thousand miles, and how does that got to do with the t-case being better than a push button?

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
And I thought you had an LB7 that wouldn't stop burning tire with a trailer and you wanted to detune. Now you have an 8.1 truck and need to know about LBZ's. I am lost lol

Bertram38

Nov 21, 2012
come on u guys, I own three trucks in my business, 1 of 3 is 8.1, all three are 3/4 ton 4*4s. # 2 needs a LB7 motor installed, 3rd is current LB7 that needs detuned. I am looking to buy a 4th truck.
My 8.1 locked up front axel solid and I drove it 8K more miles and did not hurt anything. Push button unlockes differant is what I heard from yard that installed front axel for me. If I am wrong, please advise.

My LB7 2002 needs to be detuned, just do not need that much juice.

U guys can get ugly real fast on this site. Please ask before u bite..

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
You never posted a picture of your LB7 so we could help you identify parts on it for you

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Not trying to get ugly lol. Just trying to sort things out. Make up a signature so when you post people can see what you have and keep it sorted. Use the search feature and you will find a lot of valuable info!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If your diff locked up solid, you wouldnt be driving anywhere. The LF axle continuously rotates the spider gears in the diff no matter if your in 4wd or not. As for 4wd not disengauging in a push botton, i couldnt see it. If the front axle shift collar were bound up that much that it wont shift the t-case out of 4wd for a push button operated one, and your diff was in fact locked up solid, you still wont be goin anywhere even if you have a floor shift t-case cause the collars are electroniclly controlled on all of them.

Im pretty sure that yard fed you a line.

We usually dont get ugly but when people come on here telling us why something happened and why something is better with incorrect ffacts backing it, we will quickly call your bluff ;)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
come on u guys, I own three trucks in my business, 1 of 3 is 8.1, all three are 3/4 ton 4*4s. # 2 needs a LB7 motor installed, 3rd is current LB7 that needs detuned. I am looking to buy a 4th truck.
My 8.1 locked up front axel solid and I drove it 8K more miles and did not hurt anything. Push button unlockes differant is what I heard from yard that installed front axel for me. If I am wrong, please advise.

My LB7 2002 needs to be detuned, just do not need that much juice.

U guys can get ugly real fast on this site. Please ask before u bite..

you're wrong.

the push-button 4wd and manual shift 4wd....I hate to break it to you (and everyone else who thinks the manual 4wd rules and push-button drools)....BOTH USE THE SAME ELECTRONICALLY ACTUATED FRONT AXLE.

The front axle encoder motor is the part that fails, 9 times out of 10. NOT the encoder motor on the push-button transfer case.

And what happens when the front axle encoder motor fails on your trusty-good-old-fashioned-reliable manual shift 4wd???? Your 4wd doesnt work. You can shift the lever back and forth all you want, but if that electronic motor fails, your SOL.

Ben

Bertram38

Nov 21, 2012
This is my Toy,
Bertram competition 38' offshore race boat. I rigged and built the two 700Hp BB 540 Ci. Lucky #7 hull made out of 15 in America.

Now ask me anything about offshore and I will show you where my expertise is at. The Duramax toy is just a haul vehicle that is dependable.

Attachments

• Bertram helo shot port side.jpg
    Bertram helo shot port side.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 12

rms2012

Dec 7, 2011
Phoenix
I've had both types . . . and they both can fail. And get repaired. And fail again.

It would be way down the list, on reasons whether to buy or not buy a particular truck.

Most of my vehicle problems are associated with heat, dirt & vibration. :(

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
This is my Toy,
Bertram competition 38' offshore race boat. I rigged and built the two 700Hp BB 540 Ci. Lucky #7 hull made out of 15 in America.

Now ask me anything about offshore and I will show you where my expertise is at. The Duramax toy is just a haul vehicle that is dependable.

What does this have to do with your question?

I'm so lost.