flexplate problem

rushingbc

< I drive slow trucks
Sep 3, 2006
Beaufort, SC
I know it's been asked before, but here goes. Are there any aftermarket flexplate/flywheels out there that are worth buying?

Mike, how did the testing go with the Banks?

Does anyone have any experience with the ATS?

Dropped the trans today thinking I had a convertor problem, started howling then metal on metal grinding sound with the convertor unlocked at any speed. Come to find out the flexplate is done, and in the process took out some nice gouges in the flywheel. I'll post pics as soon as my camera charges.

bushmaster

Aug 21, 2009
i know a few people that run the ATS and i will be running one myself someday. havent heard anything bad about em yet!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I know it's been asked before, but here goes. Are there any aftermarket flexplate/flywheels out there that are worth buying?

Mike, how did the testing go with the Banks?

Does anyone have any experience with the ATS?

Dropped the trans today thinking I had a convertor problem, started howling then metal on metal grinding sound with the convertor unlocked at any speed. Come to find out the flexplate is done, and in the process took out some nice gouges in the flywheel. I'll post pics as soon as my camera charges.

Banks never sent me their flex plate. They are making changes. The only flex plate/flywheel out there is OEM or ATS. I have heard that another company has one in the works.
If you go with the ATS and are running a SC or PI converter you will need special converter bolts and I carry them.

rushingbc

< I drive slow trucks
Sep 3, 2006
Beaufort, SC
the carnage...

when the flexplate center broke out of it the convertor bolts were free to take a ride on the flywheel, which took nice chunks out of it.

edit: oh, and this happened with a light tow tune, not even romping on it. im sure the way it's been treated up to that point didnt help, but it didnt go out with a bang, only a wimper....

Attachments

• IMG_1527 2.jpg
    IMG_1527 2.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

rushingbc

< I drive slow trucks
Sep 3, 2006
Beaufort, SC
Mike, i guess i dont understand it much, but in another thread you talked about the ATS unit giving you the possibility of misaligning the pump dowl? I probably misquoted you, but if i go with it, what's my chance of messing something up?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike, i guess i dont understand it much, but in another thread you talked about the ATS unit giving you the possibility of misaligning the pump dowl? I probably misquoted you, but if i go with it, what's my chance of messing something up?

What I said was that I didn't like solid flywheels because that would then be the final index of the converter to pump fitting. I feel we need a little flex in case the dowl pins on the engine do not match the holes in the transmission case.
I have talked to guy at SoCal about this and he said if the engine was ballanced properly he didn't worry about it. I think he does some alterations to them before he installs one for converter clearance.

rushingbc

< I drive slow trucks
Sep 3, 2006
Beaufort, SC
I dont know man, but what I keep reading is that we may be fine with the stockers, even running pretty hot tunes. I have seen people saying that full tilt builds and dedicated racers benefit more for the cost.

I would say take a GOOD look at it any time you drop the trans, if it looks like there are hairline cracks forming, change it. If it is good at the time, hey, it's like any other part, could be tomorrow, could be two years. I keep telling myself I have to pay to play.

just my .02

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Wasn't Intelligent Engineering working a flexplate?
Yes Opie built some I have two of them on the race truck engines and so far they are working well. Heavier than stock not as thick as ATS's.

I had an ATS flex plate, never had any problem with it, sure as hell was heavy and there wasn't any flex that is for sure. Have to make sure you use the correct bolts as Mike said.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I am hoping to have a compatible one soon that will make the engine builders happy as well as me.:D

rushingbc

< I drive slow trucks
Sep 3, 2006
Beaufort, SC
ok, ok, so it's not a high speed aftermarket piece that people are going to oogle over..... but I got my stock flex plate in from the fed ex dude, straight from Louisiana. time to get to work...

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
I like to no what causes them to break?? I have broke 3 in my 2wd and didnt ever understand why. Espically with just a transgo shift kit

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I like to no what causes them to break?? I have broke 3 in my 2wd and didnt ever understand why. Espically with just a transgo shift kit

Have you ever read any of your own posts? You will find the answer there.

Last edited by a moderator:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Yes Opie built some I have two of them on the race truck engines and so far they are working well. Heavier than stock not as thick as ATS's.

I had an ATS flex plate, never had any problem with it, sure as hell was heavy and there wasn't any flex that is for sure. Have to make sure you use the correct bolts as Mike said.

was this an exclusive part? it's not listed on the site. any clearance issues? thanks.