Fleece cheetah vs. Dt stealth 64?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Everyone has their own preferences, but I would never run an S300 with a 74mm turbine. It's a little pointless in my opinion. I much prefer a 70mm turbine. If you think you need more than that, get an S400. Just my 2 cents.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Huge difference actually, just because the compressor wheel is 2mm bigger, the turbine in both are vastly different. The RCD IHI 66/74 is capable of 700 all day long with the fuel to support it. Basically its a drop in, internally gated s366 Majority of the 64mm IHI i see are stock turbine.

Greg,
I think he was just referring to leaving the turbo he has in valley and twin over top of it.
If you were comparing turbine wheels between the two then yes you're 100% correct. 74 is MUCH bigger and more capable then the stock IHI.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
The Silver Bullet 66 with billet wheel and install kit from COTNP is about the same price too. That's another option i am considering and it will likely have more room down the road than the RCD as well.

I personally would go a different route. Between the 74mm turbine wheel in that 14cm exhaust housing and that piece of junk BD pedestal it has to many down falls. I had one for a few years and didn't care for it. Didn't spool very good and had high EGT's.

I agree with Josh on the 70mm turbine wheel but don't know if I'd jump up to an S400 before going to a 74 turbine wheel. With borg warners new turbine wheels I think the 74 is better, thats what I've been told/heard. I've not ran an S400 so I can't comment with certainty on that mater.

As for which one is better, fleece or DTS. I would have to lean towards the fleece being it has the larger S300 cartridge. But I do know that the stealth 64's are putting up with a beating on some pretty high hp pickups and they're doing just fine.

The stock IHI turbine wheel has an inducer of roughly 68mm; its a sharp point in the dead center of the scroll. The fleece 63 has a 68mm inducer but it keeps that diameter much longer than the stock IHI; it also doesn't neck down to the exducer as fast. The S300 turbine wheel in its self is much longer than the stock IHI; I'm referring to blade length, inducer to exducer.

Both are good turbos, but honestly I can make both better with the work I do!!:thumb:

Yellowchevy

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
Greg,
I think he was just referring to leaving the turbo he has in valley and twin over top of it.
If you were comparing turbine wheels between the two then yes you're 100% correct. 74 is MUCH bigger and more capable then the stock IHI.

Yellowchevy

Yes, I was commenting on the thread question asked by the OP. Struck by this comment "I don't personally see why you would go from a 64mm to 66mm"

I'd go for the Fleece or RCD unit if you want the most power out of this motor before the built motor goes in.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I agree with Josh on the 70mm turbine wheel but don't know if I'd jump up to an S400 before going to a 74 turbine wheel. With borg warners new turbine wheels I think the 74 is better, thats what I've been told/heard. I've not ran an S400 so I can't comment with certainty on that mater.

I probably didn't explain my reasoning very well, but my point was more along the lines of intended use. Most people who stick with an S300 do so because they want a nice turbo that makes a moderate amount of power without giving up too much in driveability. In my opinion, a smaller S300 with a 70mm turbine is a very fast spooling turbo that can make upwards of 700 hp. If you think you want more than that, I don't see a 74mm turbine giving enough of a hp increase over that to justify the loss in spool time. If you really want more power from a single, I think the S400 is a much better option. Like I said, everyone has their own preferences, but that is my 2 cents.