LLY: Fitting 35"s on my stock dmax

Turbotodd

Dec 7, 2011
Hey I have a 2006 gmc 2500Hd. I have 16" american racing rims and was wondering if I could fit 35" by 12.5 on stock height with torsion keys cranked. Thanks

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I've got them on stock height no problem. You'll have to trim the inner fender a bit and maybe the valance. I did that and I never hear my tires rub. Mine are 315/75/16 which is equal to a 35x12.50.

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Yes, but I would not recommend it unless you dont mind hacking up the inner fender's, lower fender, and front valance or bumper depending on if you have a GMC or Chevy. Even after that it may still rub at full lock depending on the wheel back spacing.....

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
No prob, word to the wise about those tires though: I wouldn't recommend them for a heavy truck like ours. They're super soft and wear very fast. I had a buddy try a set on his crew cab and I don't even think he got 30k miles out of them.

Turbotodd

Dec 7, 2011
Yea I was almost thinking the same thing, what kind of tires would you recommend. I'm looking To buy some later today

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I had nitto trail grapplers on my old Toyota. I loved those, quiet smooth and wore really well. I put almost 20K on them and they were well over 1/2 tread still. Problem is they don't make a 16" one yet. A friend has Km2s, he's got 30k or so on them and they've got plenty of life left on them. Another 10k or so anyway. Problem with them is you have to rotate them all the time cause they will cup if you don't. I think the toyos are a pretty good m/t. I've heard good things about the fierce m/t as well, a little louder than the km2 or nitto but a few hundred dollars cheaper. I almost got a set, but I decided I didn't really need m/t tires. They would only tempt me :D

Oct 21, 2009
Why so big of tire? Stock are 245's which are to small but 35s on a stock suspension dmax? Just wasting money imho and going to kill ur mpg.

chevytuf01

Dirty Deeds
Jul 2, 2010
Rileyville Virginia
Man i had BFG A/T and i didnt get 50 thousand outta them ... i have MTZ's now they are a nice all around tire .. everyone has said the nitto nt420s are a good tire i might have to give them a try

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Why so big of tire? Stock are 245's which are to small but 35s on a stock suspension dmax? Just wasting money imho and going to kill ur mpg.

They don't effect the mpg on diesels as much as gas, in fact I think they help by giving better highway gear ratios. I went on a trip yesterday, around 300 miles, 200 of which were interstate running anywhere between 75 and 90 mph and I got an average of 19.1mpg. Can I prove it? No. Will everyone believe me? No. But what reason do I have to lie? If I wanted to lie I'd say I got 24mpg :D . As for that big of a tire on a stock truck, I think it's a better value. Why spend money on a lift when you can trim a bit here and there to fit the same tire, that's my motto anyway. A lifted truck with a 35" tire would get worse milage than a stockish height truck with a 35" tire.

Turbotodd

Dec 7, 2011
I want a bigger tires for looks And I don't want to lift it because I have to load my snowmobile and dirt bike and quad in the back of it.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
They don't effect the mpg on diesels as much as gas, in fact I think they help by giving better highway gear ratios. I went on a trip yesterday, around 300 miles, 200 of which were interstate running anywhere between 75 and 90 mph and I got an average of 19.1mpg. Can I prove it? No. Will everyone believe me? No. But what reason do I have to lie? If I wanted to lie I'd say I got 24mpg :D . As for that big of a tire on a stock truck, I think it's a better value. Why spend money on a lift when you can trim a bit here and there to fit the same tire, that's my motto anyway. A lifted truck with a 35" tire would get worse milage than a stockish height truck with a 35" tire.

Your truck must be a exception to the rule of physics (Rolling Mass)... My truck lost atleast 3 mpg when I went from a 285 75 16 to a 35-12.5-18.. And the reason to spend the money on the lift is besides your truck riding like sh!t from cranking the bars, the premature wear on front end parts and hacking your expensive truck up. Your front end geometry (Angles) will never be right and if you do any pulling or racing you will be much more likely to break things.. I also put 35's on our work rig with stock suspension and even plowed with them for a season but theres no way I would hack up my DD to that extent. FYI the work truck went quickly back to 285's after 1 set of 35's.. JMHO though, not saying you cant or shouldn't just relaying my experience :thumb:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Your truck must be a exception to the rule of physics (Rolling Mass)... My truck lost atleast 3 mpg when I went from a 285 75 16 to a 35-12.5-18.. And the reason to spend the money on the lift is besides your truck riding like sh!t from cranking the bars, the premature wear on front end parts and hacking your expensive truck up. Your front end geometry (Angles) will never be right and if you do any pulling or racing you will be much more likely to break things.. I also put 35's on our work rig with stock suspension and even plowed with them for a season but theres no way I would hack up my DD to that extent. FYI the work truck went quickly back to 285's after 1 set of 35's.. JMHO though, not saying you cant or shouldn't just relaying my experience :thumb:

A good suspension lift costs between $1500 and $2000 correct? I could rebuild my entire front end 4 or 5 times for that much money, and probably still have enough left to replace the inner fenders and valance I had to trim. I will agree a truck with a quality suspension lift does ride better, but i can't justify a lift just for ride quality. As for your change in mpg, every truck is different. Is yours lifted? Lifted trucks get worse milage the higher they go. I have stock wheels, and I saw you went up 2 sizes in wheels when you changed tires. Bigger wheels are almost always heavier as well. I'm not trying to pick any fights here, some ppl like lifted trucks with big tires and some ppl like stock trucks with big tires. Everyone is different, that's why theres red green blue white etc duramaxes :thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Im all for fitting big tires under stock height trucks but only with the angles at or better than factory, otherwise its all looks and quickly worn out parts

gmg1018

Dec 4, 2011
I have a 6” suspension lift with 35” Mickey Thompson ATZ tires and average 17.5MPG with a good mix of city and highway driving.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
i like my 285s on the lbz its had 285s since 80k has 150k now no balljoints or anything just one driver side wheelbearing and my tbars are almost maxed out but i dont do 4 wheel launches hardley use 4wd except snow ect and no offroading it never leaves the pavement lol

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
i ran 315/75/16 on a stock rim, and pull the lower A arm off then bumpstop
about 1/2"

removed some pinch welds and parking brake cable tie back and i removed thne inner fender completely