First time diesel truck owner, 06 LLY CC/LB

macantley

May 8, 2014
south charleston WV
First off im really enjoying having the diesel, it tows well, and has plenty of power for the hills around here. My truck has 301,000 miles on it, its a 2006 Crew cab Long Bed 4x4 with allison transmission and the LLY motor (early 06 motor) Its a 1 ton truck that was a dually when i got it, it had no bed though, just a 5th wheel attachment, so i bought a single rear wheel axle and a normal 8ft. bed and changed it over (i dont have a use for dual wheels)

problems ive been having with it include:

excessive black smoke when over 1/3rd throttle, It starts really easy, much easier than any of my dads diesels (granted they are fords) and does seem to run good, also it will not go into manual shifting mode on the column, im not sure if its because its a early 06 model LLY or not, i know the LBZ motors are supposed to be able to do the manual shifting, but mine will not even though the column has the manual shifter buttons and the dash is PNDM1

if anyone has any suggestions please let me know, My father seems to think i should buy new injectors since the motor has 301,000 miles on it, thinking they could be the smoke issue.

matthew

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I would see if it is tuned... Sounds like the OS could have been loaded and has caused the manual mode to not function.

If you put in in manual wha gear is it in when you start off? Is I first or 2nd?

StinkyDog

Apr 28, 2011
Illinois
Does the T.H. button work? You may have broken wires coming out of the shifter. It happens sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

strega440

Jul 25, 2014
CA
welcome to the overheating club!

I'm new to this forum as well. I have owned my 05 lly for 3yrs. And love it but for on thing it Runs really hot towing hills and I have spent a small fortune trying to remedie the problem. So if you don't tow you'll be fine, if
not be prepared to part with a couple thousand dollars more in upgrades or just sell it for newer and save yourself a ton
of headaches.There is alot of info here on it!:shifan: