first time at track

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
So I had to run up to wisconsin yesterday to deliver a set of rims/tires. I took 39 up there and ran past Byron, and it being saturday, I thought why not run the test and tune.

Of course it started raining right at 10 when we were supposed to start racing so I waited it out and we got going about 2 hours later.

I've never ran this truck on the track before so a 4wd boosted launch was new to me. I had just sled pulled the Friday night so the truck was still set up with the spring clamps and torsion bars down. I also still had all the weight in the truck which put me at about 7700 or so lbs. The tires are a set of 285 firestone m/t's with 40 psi in them. I literally changed nothing to race as I hadn't planned on doing this when I left home.

First run was a 14.031 at 96.78mph. 1.7 60ft. not bad for the first time but the truck layed down in third and picked back up when it finally recovered and shifted to fourth. This is on my top #1 race tune

I couldn't log the runs because I left the laptop at home. kinda bummed I did because I had been feeling like the truck was doing the same thing on the pulling track but it's over so fast I couldn't tell. Now I know for sure something is going on and will be logging right away to find out what it is

second run I switched to #2 race tune and ran a 13.929 at 97.87 mph with a 1.8 60ft. Still had the big lag middle of track

Last run I switched to the #3 lowest race tune and ran a best of 13.418 at 99.57mph with a 1.7 60ft.

Very happy I stopped to race! Now I need to log the truck to see whats going on and get the truck running up to its potential. Byron Dragway is by far my favorite track. The people are very friendly and accommodating. I was in no way ready to race and they had no problem letting me go out there anyways. They don't get caught up in the details, they just want people to race and have a good time. I'll post up a pic of the timeslip later.

race calculator says around 500 rwhp but the truck should be making a bunch more than that. Hopefully the logs will tell whats going on

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
thanks guys! I was happy with the truck for sure. I plan on going back up there this year and I'll have it in drag race form instead of sled pull. I think mid 12's should be possible

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
here's a pic of the time sheet.

imag0072ee.jpg

Last edited:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
let me know next time your coming over and we can meet :hug: byron isnt far from me at all they should have diesel days in mid to late aug

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
let me know when the diesel days are. I'd like to come back up. Byron is a good 2 hrs away but worth going to. I'm not sure about pulling in Belvidere. Long drive home

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
After talking with a buddy today about lift pumps, I went out and checked mine and it wasn't working. The little 2 amp fuse under the hood had blown. Swapped in a different fuse and it is working again. No telling how long it hasn't been working but probably longer than I'd like to admit. Easy fix for a silly mistake on my part. We're going to do some test runs and log the truck tomorrow to see what's going on but I think this should fix most all of my problem. I should also be deleting the fuel filter on the motor and running bigger fuel line up from the lift pump and adding a bigger pick up tube in the tank

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
After talking with a buddy today about lift pumps, I went out and checked mine and it wasn't working. The little 2 amp fuse under the hood had blown. Swapped in a different fuse and it is working again. No telling how long it hasn't been working but probably longer than I'd like to admit. Easy fix for a silly mistake on my part. We're going to do some test runs and log the truck tomorrow to see what's going on but I think this should fix most all of my problem. I should also be deleting the fuel filter on the motor and running bigger fuel line up from the lift pump and adding a bigger pick up tube in the tank

i was just going to suggest that, sounded like it was runnin outa fuel, u will be runnin 12s no prob now:thumb:

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Yeah I enjoyed Byrons track alot. Was really nice and clean, Was able to hook up very well when I went up there.

Need to go back after I get some much needed fuel upgrades.