Fingers Oval Bowl piston sound clips??

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
Wish i knew how to read that.... LOL How do you measure head volume?? Feeling dumb... Im running .020 overbore and stock heads.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Head volume varies from build to build and is the responsibility of the builder. As shown in the chart. Typical, non-piston volume is about 13cc and is what was used to calculate the various compression ratios.

If the builder recesses the valves, uses thicker gaskets or a slew of other things, it will affect the final compression ratio.

The limit on the cast compression ratio is structural. There isn't anywhere to remove material without compromising piston integrity. If you add valve pockets to the 15.5 bowls, you can get lower, but you need to talk to me beforehand so I can verify it will work.

Bottom line, the pistons are custom made to the customer's specifications. Unlike some others, I can maintain almost any CR with or without valve reliefs. 18.5:1 with reliefs, no problem.

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
Head volume varies from build to build and is the responsibility of the builder. As shown in the chart. Typical, non-piston volume is about 13cc and is what was used to calculate the various compression ratios.

If the builder recesses the valves, uses thicker gaskets or a slew of other things, it will affect the final compression ratio.

The limit on the cast compression ratio is structural. There isn't anywhere to remove material without compromising piston integrity. If you add valve pockets to the 15.5 bowls, you can get lower, but you need to talk to me beforehand so I can verify it will work.

Bottom line, the pistons are custom made to the customer's specifications. Unlike some others, I can maintain almost any CR with or without valve reliefs. 18.5:1 with reliefs, no problem.

Thanks for the info! My heads have already been machined .005 once so i would imagine they will need some work on the valves to have enough clearance? So the thicker the gasket and if the valves are recessed that will lower final compression?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Here is a good one, pretty much doesn't sound like a Duramax anymore. almost sounds more like a 2 stroke Detroit here. 4" exh no muffler, profab manifolds.

I'll be darned. Here I thought you guys were kidding with this thread.