Few questions after HG job

Chevytothefloor

Nov 24, 2013
South Jersey
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this, so I apologize in advance.

I have my truck 99% back together after head gaskets and studs but I would like to flush the cooling system now. What I plan on doing is pulling the block drain to drain anything that is still in the block, fill the entire cooling system with distilled water and something like prestone cooling system flush/cleaner and take my truck for a good long drive. Then drain that and fill it with 50/50 dexcool and distilled water. My question: is this a good procedure? Or does the dexcool act as lubrication for the cooling system?

I am also going to go back and retorque my heads like the cummins guys do.. After how many miles should I go back to check them? I planned on lightly driving it for 500 miles or so, then going back. I followed ARP's instructions to the T, keeping the studs "hand tight" and torqued the nuts 60-90-125 in their given sequence, but I read on another diesel forum after the fact that guys let the studs sit over night to "stretch". In my opinion, going back to retorque is easier than doing gaskets again due to a "stretching" stud.. Any input please, Thanks.

e46_330i

Jun 26, 2013
Youngsville, NC
Don't have the answer to your flushing question, but why are you going to add distilled water to 50/50 dexcool? Buy straight coolant if you want to add distilled yourself.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I'm not sure, but it thought we are supposed to run 100% dexcool??? Or whatever is in the jugs I buy from the dealer, I thought its 100% maybe it's a mix?

I also think that with the arp studs you can torque them de torque them and then re torque them again as a final torque and never look back, all in sequence of course, pretty sure that's how it's done when you do them all at once with the heads off as a starting point.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I'm not sure, but it thought we are supposed to run 100% dexcool??? Or whatever is in the jugs I buy from the dealer, I thought its 100% maybe it's a mix?

I also think that with the arp studs you can torque them de torque them and then re torque them again as a final torque and never look back, all in sequence of course, pretty sure that's how it's done when you do them all at once with the heads off as a starting point.

You don't torque them then detorque them. You torque them once with ARP lube to 125 in three equal steps.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Not coco you are not suppose to run 100% Dexcool... I just run 50/50 Water/Dexcool mixture

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
IMO, No need to flush unless you used some Magic head gasket repair in a can at some point in the past? If not just top off with fresh antifreeze and continue on:thumb:
Same with the ARP's, I have left them over night and they never needed to be Re-TRQ'd in the 2 times I have let them sit. I never Re-TRQ'd after heat cycling but I also have no reason to since I have never had a HG failure after installing Stud's ;)

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Retorque is a thing of the past. With the ARP lube there's no need to.

You don't torque them then detorque them. You torque them once with ARP lube to 125 in three equal steps.

I let them sit awhile then go over all of them again.

Not coco you are not suppose to run 100% Dexcool... I just run 50/50 Water/Dexcool mixture

IMO, No need to flush unless you used some Magic head gasket repair in a can at some point in the past? If not just top off with fresh antifreeze and continue on:thumb:
Same with the ARP's, I have left them over night and they never needed to be Re-TRQ'd in the 2 times I have let them sit. I never Re-TRQ'd after heat cycling but I also have no reason to since I have never had a HG failure after installing Stud's ;)

shezam

Answers, my work here is done....

You can ALWAYS count on these guys, to keep me from leading you astray ;)

Lol

Chevytothefloor

Nov 24, 2013
South Jersey

I didn't. I torqued them in 3 equal steps, and started putting it back together, and thats what I'm afraid of. I used arp's ultra lube.. I don't mind pulling my motor apart again to go over them after some time. It adds piece of mind:thumb:

IMO, No need to flush unless you used some Magic head gasket repair in a can at some point in the past? If not just top off with fresh antifreeze and continue on
Same with the ARP's, I have left them over night and they never needed to be Re-TRQ'd in the 2 times I have let them sit. I never Re-TRQ'd after heat cycling but I also have no reason to since I have never had a HG failure after installing Stud's

I didn't use any magical head gasket repair juice lol but I feel when I wet sanded my block with 600 grit paper to prep the gasket surface some contaminants got into the water jackets. Figure id be safe with a flush, but if its not necessary ill just drain whats left in the block and fill it up and go.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo

x2 as Evan said leave them I like to let them go over night if not rushed. It's not the stretch it's the head changing temp over the time frame of install. And being tqed on once you go back later and go back over the studs a few will click again. On my build after leaving overnight in the July heat even with ac on in the garage we had 8 that went a little more the next day after turning ac off and letting garage hear up over night.
It's been well over 5 years back but Nelson's Race engines had a build up. They showed there trick for not having to tear back into there nasty turbo builds to retq the heads on there gasser builds. They had a shield built directing heat into the intake ports on each head with 2 heat guns set at a low temp so they could run through and save from tear down.

Chevytothefloor

Nov 24, 2013
South Jersey
It's all back together now otherwise I would have gone over them a second or third time, I'm just waiting on a few odds and ends until I start it. I did mine in the driveway and temps have been fluctuating between low 30's and 40's so its not hot out. BTW thanks for hooking me up on a great deal on these gaskets and studs!

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
It's all back together now otherwise I would have gone over them a second or third time, I'm just waiting on a few odds and ends until I start it. I did mine in the driveway and temps have been fluctuating between low 30's and 40's so its not hot out. BTW thanks for hooking me up on a great deal on these gaskets and studs!

You will be fine and thank you :hug:

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Good info here so my question is because of the new ultra torque I know it applies equal torque due to the makeup of it but how come it does away with the three cold one hot torque sequence is it just that good of a product? Jw

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Good info here so my question is because of the new ultra torque I know it applies equal torque due to the makeup of it but how come it does away with the three cold one hot torque sequence is it just that good of a product? Jw

Most guys have always done 3 sets of the 3 step process. Then the next day after letting the alum head cycle through a natural heat up and cooling just in the open air then go back over all off them once. Most guys would get a little turn out of a few from this.

Now with there new ultra tq it's just takes a extra step away. If left overnight and check would still find same as before. Going to happen your just getting the pre stretch arp wants into the stud to start with.

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
Most guys have always done 3 sets of the 3 step process. Then the next day after letting the alum head cycle through a natural heat up and cooling just in the open air then go back over all off them once. Most guys would get a little turn out of a few from this.

Now with there new ultra tq it's just takes a extra step away. If left overnight and check would still find same as before. Going to happen your just getting the pre stretch arp wants into the stud to start with.

X2 when I did mine I torqued in 3 steps let sit overnight and retourqed the next day and to my surprise they were all the same.