fan blows, but no air

countryredneck

May 31, 2009
k ill do my best to explain this in a short version. last winter i had my motor switched out. right after i had no FAN but had HEAT. the fan would spin, threw all speeds but nothing would come out. pulled my truck inside for about an hour, then it would blow air again. take it back out, leaving it run for 20? min or so, it would stop threwing air, BUT THE FAN WAS STILL SPINNING, so back in the shop. once again it would work. rooted around for a while and found that the little drainage tube that lets moisture out for the AC was turned up. turned it down and a ton of water came out. figured great, problem solved. no such luck. so i put up with it for the winter. now that summers here im DYING with no AC. does the same thing but with it being in + temps i dont need to bring it inside to make it work. i'll shut the truck off for 20 min or so, fire it back up and it blows air again, drive for 20, fan keeps spinning, but nothing comes out. I NEED HELP! thanks

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
have you tried replacing the resistor or relay or whatever that thing is that controls the fan? Alot of problems have been fixed by replacing it alone. Even when it doesn't make sense for that to be the cause.

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
try this, it sounds stupid but i just replaced my climate control panel and when i did it would blow hot out of one side and cold out of the other. sometimes the controls dont know what to do and they resort to jut blowing out of the defrost or something. but
- disconnect the battery to reset system
- hook it back up and start the truck
- it will come on at 74degree auto and will go through 3 steps
1) blows out of defrost for 8-10 seconds
2) then goes to floor for a couple seconds
3) then comes out of vents.
- as soon as it starts to come out of the vents cut the air OFF.
- turn truck off and then restart and turn a/c on.

try that, it worked on mine.

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
you talking about the blower motor not blowing every now and then?

My truck does the same thing, I just replaced the orifice tube, compressor and accumulator because compressor was bad. After ac shop installed freon, they didn't clean the lines, and blew a lil junk into new compressor. It works but doesn't blow as cold as it should.
But at the same time, I can be driving down the interstate and ac will stop blowing, still on but blower motor is off. I turn it off and then back on and you can hear the blower going but nothing coming out of the vents. Most of the time, I've turned it off for 15 mins and then back on and it'll work.
Some lucky times, I can cycle it to defrost and back to ac then recirculate and it does the trick.
I wonder if it could have anything to do with the ac shut down our trucks have when they get hot, don't our trucks have that?:eek: It's annoying and HOT to say the least.
Oh yeah, my condensate drain line DRAINS like you said, LOTS AND LOTS and HUGE amount of water/condensation.

Chevytech122

I need NOS
Jun 2, 2009
Potsdam, NY
try this, it sounds stupid but i just replaced my climate control panel and when i did it would blow hot out of one side and cold out of the other. sometimes the controls dont know what to do and they resort to jut blowing out of the defrost or something. but
- disconnect the battery to reset system
- hook it back up and start the truck
- it will come on at 74degree auto and will go through 3 steps
1) blows out of defrost for 8-10 seconds
2) then goes to floor for a couple seconds
3) then comes out of vents.
- as soon as it starts to come out of the vents cut the air OFF.
- turn truck off and then restart and turn a/c on.

try that, it worked on mine.

If you tried it and it didnt work, make sure you didnt touch any controls. It goes through a self-calibration for about 40 seconds. If anything is pressed on the HVAC it will cancel the calibration. If that doesnt work again, check the junction block on the passenger side of the Dash. just pull the triangle piece where the dash meets the door and move the wiring around in there with the blower on. There is a bulletin out for stretched terminals. Is there a chance you could get it scanned with a tech 2. With auto HVAC its possible to set codes for mode and temperature actuators.

heymccall

Aug 24, 2009
My hunch says the evaporator is icing over. A faulty low side pressure switch or simply low on freon will both cause the same thing, no airflow.

On a humid, hot day, there should be a puddle of water beneath the drain tube (just right of the tranny bellhousing), and when your airflow goes away, I'll bet it stops dripping, too.