Family Businesses

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Just out of curiosity, does anyone else work for family?? I work at my father's transfer station/ rolloff company and I pretty much manage all the day to day operations. I have friends that give me crap and think I can do whatever I want, come and go as I please, and get way overpaid. While I won't dispute that I might get a little more money than someone outside the family in my same position, I will say that I am held to a higher standard and have to deal with a lot more BS. I pretty much take the fall for anything that happens here, regardless of whose fault it was and I find that everyone else can pencil in any days off they need when I need to explain where I will be each and every second that I'm not in the office. Sorry for the half ass rant but I figured somebody out there must understand where I'm coming from lol.

I should also mention this is truck related because my father knows what I make, and he knows what my truck has into it. He constantly nags me and tells me I should have 100k sitting in the bank for a rainy day, not a piece of shit broken race truck parked in my yard lol

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
The way I see it is everyone is gonna have a hobby. Most of ours on this site are their trucks. If you didn't have the race truck you'd have a basement full of guns, other cars, trucks, tractors etc. I do agree with having money in the bank to fall back on but what fun is life if you can't have fun.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I work for my parents as well. we manufacture caulking and grout stain for the ceramic tile industry. i pretty much run the shop here as well so anything that happens usually falls on me unless its outside of my control. they had a hard time giving up "power" so to speak to me to run the guys and operations, they always wanted to be apart of it and it would really screw me up when they start changing or telling guys what to do without letting me know. They have since seen i can do a damn fine job at running the shop and now really kinda come and go as they please which in all honesty makes me feel very proud that they know i can take care of things here. Its really like i have the shop to myself. there are still the same "arguments" we have between mother and son or father and son but before things go off we try very hard to take it out away from the guys in the shop so its not seen. And yes, both my parents run this company so i see both of them almost everyday. there are times it gets frustrating but down the line ill be very grateful to have spent all this time with them

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
First thing I do every pay day is pay the bills then pay myself. The rest goes in the bank. No point in making money if you don't let yourself spend any of it.

Andrew

Costly Obsessions
Aug 7, 2013
delaware
I should also mention this is truck related because my father knows what I make, and he knows what my truck has into it. He constantly nags me and tells me I should have 100k sitting in the bank for a rainy day, not a piece of shit broken race truck parked in my yard lol
because race truck lol :hug:

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I work for my parents as well. we manufacture caulking and grout stain for the ceramic tile industry. i pretty much run the shop here as well so anything that happens usually falls on me unless its outside of my control. they had a hard time giving up "power" so to speak to me to run the guys and operations, they always wanted to be apart of it and it would really screw me up when they start changing or telling guys what to do without letting me know. They have since seen i can do a damn fine job at running the shop and now really kinda come and go as they please which in all honesty makes me feel very proud that they know i can take care of things here. Its really like i have the shop to myself. there are still the same "arguments" we have between mother and son or father and son but before things go off we try very hard to take it out away from the guys in the shop so its not seen. And yes, both my parents run this company so i see both of them almost everyday. there are times it gets frustrating but down the line ill be very grateful to have spent all this time with them

I definitely agree James. A lot of it is just letting someone else take command of "their baby" but it is satisfying when my father leaves for a week and comes back and all is well. That being said we try and keep work and home seperate and we are a lot closer than most father and sons and spend lots of time together snowmobiling or out on the boat. Tough to complain about that.

b_r_a_d_79

Aug 3, 2013
KY
I also work for my parents. They own an electrical engineering company and I know what you guys mean as far as being held to higher standard. I've always worked for the company but just became full time after finishing school last spring. Right now I'm in Pennsylvania overseeing a job when I haven't been full time for a year yet. I don't know half the answers to any of this crap lol. And yea they are always on me about spending money on my truck but the way I see it is thats my hobby and everyone has one. Mine is just a little more expensive.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I figure the truck is a much better investment than drugs, gambling or hookers right?? But my father doesn't think its all that funny when I tell him that.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
My great grandpa started Slankard produce in the early 1900's. Then it got passed down to my great uncle, after he retired my dad took it.

That's where I work now and have been for the past 4 years. I plan to be the 4th generation.

We are a small company and run 9 KW's from the valley to Cali and back hauling produce and breaking down pallets to fill orders.

The first truck was #1, we just ordered a new fleet, last truck number will be 100.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I figure the truck is a much better investment than drugs, gambling or hookers right?? But my father doesn't think its all that funny when I tell him that.

Your dad must be old school like mine. Any time I tell him I spent money on my truck, AR, anything like that, he lectures me about saving money lol

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I definitely agree James. A lot of it is just letting someone else take command of "their baby" but it is satisfying when my father leaves for a week and comes back and all is well. That being said we try and keep work and home seperate and we are a lot closer than most father and sons and spend lots of time together snowmobiling or out on the boat. Tough to complain about that.

exactly. My dad and i go 4 wheelin in moab or up to the rubicon or head out to the dunes for a weekend. the only issue is whos in charge. usually its left to my mom and when im not there, its like everyone goes nuts here and find their head from their ass. So we are limited to how many days he and i can take off together.

its definitely a plus and minus thing when comparing it to someone else having your postition and them not being family but as long as you and your dad can see eye to eye at the end of the day and leave work at work and home and home (or as much as you can), it works out about the same.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I work for my hubby does that count? :roflmao:

OH wait it's California it's a community property state :woott:

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Our family business(fountains, lake and ponds) has a nice slow season this time of year. I do most of the vehicle maintenance so i have the lift, welder, tools, so on, besides the other stuff i have to do.......So i have fun this time of year wrenching. :D

tripleturbo

Feb 27, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I work for my father's electrical business. I'm in apprenticeship school right now. I'm always held to a higher standard than everyone else but I don't mind it, I kinda like the responsibility. They only thing I hate is like what you guys said, everyone else has an opinion. But the people that rag on you for working for your parents and having money and cool toys don't have the drive to get out and go get it anyway and want everything handed to them and always have a story about how everyone else has it better.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Great topic. Hits very close to home for me. My twin brother and I have worked full time for my fathers business since graduating high school in 02. My dad never has been hands on, ever. He has never had the job site tech knowledge or carpentry skill. Work was mediocre until my brother and I started full time. Our passion and drive to better the quality of work and public appearance of the company has kept it alive through recession and more profitable every year. We compete with about 12 or so other companies in town and only 1 can do similar quality work.

Enter the frustration. My brother and I care so much more about the business than he does. He puts other things first in life and does as little as possible. He makes more than double what we do. As it is a family business we do so much we don't get paid for and it goes unappreciated. That's my biggest beef.

On the plus side... I don't punch a clock as were paid piece work. I go to work when I want, I leave when I want. I take however long of a lunch I want and I go on vacation when I want. My brother and I have our way about a lot of decisions and anymore contractors call us with questions as they know our tech knowledge is far superior to his. The business will be ours pretty soon and it is that fact alone we put up with his issues. All in all... We have it pretty good I think.