Sep 28, 2014
CT
No you're right, it won't change pressures

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Keeping the power up high will help it live.

How high? Is there an ideal rpm to have the power come on? Would a person want to try to push past 4k or still keep it under 4k?

Started going through toms threads, wow. Lotsa good stuff in there. Gotta go through each thread he's started from the very beginning...

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You can go 4500ish on stock. I wouldn't push it more. High being over 2k. That's why big single motors live longer than twins. No boost and power in the lower range. In terms of a stock motor.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Not likely... I couldn't say fer sure, but I doubt it because the cam (in a stock type grind) isn't gonna bleed off Cylinder pressure, so the CP at quench/ignition is still gonna carry the same potential...

Using the AF cam reduces the harmonic frequencies, but all the parts still recieve the same forces as before, parts still get the same heat, inertial forces and pressure and the metal itself can only take so much force before the metal gives and you blow holes in pistons and bend rods...

Just my thought, could be wrong...usually am :hello:

My thinking is this, if af cam reduces torsional twist in crank (fighting each other)(again NOT proven) then you would see some reduction in stress on connecting rods. JMHO. Could very well be wrong on that.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
You can go 4500ish on stock. I wouldn't push it more. High being over 2k. That's why big single motors live longer than twins. No boost and power in the lower range. In terms of a stock motor.

I wouldn't spin a stock motor 4500rpm.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I wouldn't spin a stock motor 4500rpm.
Definitely not with the stock valve train.
In my opinion, the biggest issue is valve float due to the super-weak stock valve springs. Honestly, it is hard to get the air the motor needs to make power up that high on stock heads/cam anyway. Most people seem to shift at 3500-3800 RPM-- if they have the turbo(s) to support that.

As for stock valve train, I have the stock lifters, pushrods, and rockers. (SoCal valve springs, retainers, etc). I see 4000 RPM without issue, but I'm totally out of air up there. I've done a few burnouts on the limiter (4800 RPM), and besides black smoke (my poor S366...), the motor was perfectly happy. It sounds wicked with the cam!

But that is why I say the biggest problem is the stock valve springs. That being said, I only have ~4000 miles on the motor, so maybe I'll kill it yet.

Bottom line, I don't think there is any point turning a stock motor faster than ~3800 RPM; you just can't stuff in the air. Potential valvetrain damage notwithstanding.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Did you use solid LBZ pushrods?
Used my stock (300,000 mile!) LB7 hollow pushrods. About 2,000 miles after the build I had to pull a head (cracked intake runner), and valve lash was all exactly in spec, despite a couple 4,800 RPM pulls. Before the build, I talked to a couple people at ATP, and they said they had seen lots of builds survive with stock pushrods.

I reused a lot of stock parts that people don't necessarily recommend reusing. If I do manage to kill this motor, I will post up the teardown, so at least we will know what parts not to reuse. Which reminds me, I need to get around to posting the build thread. Maybe this weekend, if I get a minute to myself. There are already some fun lessons-learned I should share. Plus, that way I stop derailing this thread.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Exactly. It can spin that high but there is no air above mid 3k with a stock turbo

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
From my understanding 4200 and you start to float, I have my shift points set to stock 3250 as mark seemed to feel that was the best suited for my setup. It's going to over throw a little anyway and the dyno shows my peak power before 3400 anyway

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Interesting on the float, I thought it was just the water pump that had issues over 4k, didn't even think of the lifters. I see a little over 3900 with my current tunes, might need to look into getting that tweaked a little for now.

Tom your build is interesting to say the least. Lots to learn from there.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
From my understanding 4200 and you start to float, I have my shift points set to stock 3250 as mark seemed to feel that was the best suited for my setup. It's going to over throw a little anyway and the dyno shows my peak power before 3400 anyway

Rob added 200 or 300 rpms to my lmm and it really woke things up with the 4094. Im not sure if Marks turbo likes the added rpm though, but I know my 4094 did. It was an animal over 3k...

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Mark showed me the difference in the vanes between the 4094 and his stg2r yesterday, incredible difference. I know my truck fuels to 4k but the dyno sheet shows peak power below 3500 so I figured it's the best for my setup!